Help! fuel pump doesn't prime. nothing :( - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on Help! fuel pump doesn't prime. nothing :( within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Damnit. I was hoping relay so I could be right....

Damnit. I was hoping relay so I could be right.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Damnit. I was hoping relay so I could be right.
    I was hoping you were right too! Easier fix for me
    04 Impreza Wrx

Quote Originally Posted by Spiider View Post
    Well then it is your Fuel Pump Controller. It is faulty. You need to get one second hand, buy a new one or go with an aftermarket one like this one:
    FUELPro fuelpro [FUELPro V1.2] - $149.99 : DCCDPro, Active Center Diff Control!
    which allows you to go with a more powerful pump if you ever decide to do so.
    Hmm.. I don't know, that's pricey. I rather go with oem replacement and plus, I don't know for sure if its the fuel pump controller that is faulty. I just don't want to throw money at something that might not fix the problem. More research I suppose.
    Last edited by flytime; 10-10-2013 at 03:46 PM.
    04 Impreza Wrx

Bump,

I might have found out my problem. I check the fuse box under the hood. a blown 30amp fuse. It's squarish and pink. I hope this solve it.
    04 Impreza Wrx

Squarish doesn't mean jack, pink is the color code for the amps. Got a wiring diagram or the fuse box cover? should be able to identify what that fuse is for. Might very well be. Next question is "why did it blow?"... Sometimes fuse just go and only need to be replaced, often there is a good reason for it to blow and replacing just results in another blown fuse. Just replace and see what happens, fuses are relatively cheap.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Quote Originally Posted by Ingo View Post
    Squarish doesn't mean jack, pink is the color code for the amps. Got a wiring diagram or the fuse box cover? should be able to identify what that fuse is for. Might very well be. Next question is "why did it blow?"... Sometimes fuse just go and only need to be replaced, often there is a good reason for it to blow and replacing just results in another blown fuse. Just replace and see what happens, fuses are relatively cheap.
    Replaced it, turn the ignition. Hear the fuel pump prime. Crank the car and it ran for a few seconds and died off. Sure enough the fuse was blown. I guess I'm just going to take it to a local shop. There goes my $$$ saved.
    Last edited by flytime; 10-11-2013 at 11:43 AM.
    04 Impreza Wrx

Several ways you can go now:
    1 take to shop and "bleed"
    2 find problem youself
    3 replace fuse with high amp, like 50, and see where the smoke comes from...

Really, fuses are there to protect the wiring. The electrical system is quite capable of delivering enough amps to set the car on fire. Fuses are a good thing. Your circuit that feeds the pump likely feeds something else and that something has gone bad. Unless your fuel pump itself draws too much power. It is possible. Try another fuse, this time with the electric to the fuel pump dis-connected. If the fuse holds just fine the problem is likely the pump.

Several ways you can go now:
    1 take to shop and "bleed"
    2 find problem youself
    3 replace fuse with high amp, like 50, and see where the smoke comes from...

Really, fuses are there to protect the wiring. The electrical system is quite capable of delivering enough amps to set the car on fire. Fuses are a good thing. Your circuit that feeds the pump likely feeds something else and that something has gone bad. Unless your fuel pump itself draws too much power. It is possible. Try another fuse, this time with the electric to the fuel pump dis-connected. If the fuse holds just fine the problem is likely the pump.
    I'm in the process of taking my driverside fender out. I'm trying to see if there's a short ground somewhere in there. I have a walbro 255lph, do you think that draws too much power? I had the fp in my car for a a month and haven't encounter this problem before.
    04 Impreza Wrx

Usual problem. The FPC can't handle that much current and eventually dies and that is why you are blowing fuse. You can get an oem FPC but will have the same problem again. You can also bypass the FPC but then your FP will wear out faster than normal.

the pump should not normally draw too much current, it's used often and I have not heard of electrical supply problems. It might have ingested some debris and that might cause it to draw more power. But usually that would block the pump from running and make it not run while drawing over-amps. Unlikely that said debris would just make it run harder, but bot impossible. I still think it worth to potentially "use up" another fuse and see if with the pump's electric disconnected (at the pump) there is still an overload condition. If there is then there's either something else connected to that circuit and shouldn't be or you actually have a wire shorting to ground. You might want to consider getting a multimeter. HarborFreight has as low as $3 or $4...

Quote Originally Posted by Spiider View Post
    Usual problem. The FPC can't handle that much current and eventually dies and that is why you are blowing fuse. You can get an oem FPC but will have the same problem again. You can also bypass the FPC but then your FP will wear out faster than normal.
    The current to the [ump should be controlled by relay. I do not have a wiring diagram for that yr/model. That might be helpful...

The current to the [ump should be controlled by relay. I do not have a wiring diagram for that yr/model. That might be helpful...
    Thanks, I'll look for it. I do have a multimeter i bought at autozone.
    04 Impreza Wrx

Update!

Took out my fp controller. Unbolt the two bolts that holds the metal cover on it. When I look inside, there was two wires/diodes that was fried? So possibly bad fpc?
    04 Impreza Wrx

If diodes got fried you'll have to replace with larger ones. The inductivity of the motor causes voltage spikes, especially when power to pump is turned off. The diodes short that induced voltage and thereby protect relay contacts and the rest of the system. The new pump probably causes larger spikes and killed the diodes.

If diodes got fried you'll have to replace with larger ones. The inductivity of the motor causes voltage spikes, especially when power to pump is turned off. The diodes short that induced voltage and thereby protect relay contacts and the rest of the system. The new pump probably causes larger spikes and killed the diodes.
    I should also mention that there is this transparent sticky liquid all over the circuit board. Probably time for a new one, better one I suppose. What is it? and is that because something might have melted?

Before I took out the fuel pump controller. I bought 2 30 amp fuse to test it. First one I disconnected the fp harness, turn ignition. Fuse blow right away. Then I disconnect the fpc, the fuse blew right away as well. Could be a short somewhere along with a bad fuel pump controller.
    04 Impreza Wrx

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast