My 08-REX wont start!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on My 08-REX wont start! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; 2008 Impreza WRX, manual 5spd with navigation. I am new to this forum, but my friend tells me you guys ...

My 08-REX wont start!

2008 Impreza WRX, manual 5spd with navigation.

I am new to this forum, but my friend tells me you guys know it ALL relative to Subaru's ! I would appreciate any and all help you folks can provide.

WHAT I DID: I had the fly wheel resurfaced and the clutch and Pressure plate replaced this week.

PROBLEM: Now the car will not start!
    * turning key to start does nothing.
    * fuel pump does NOT come on.
    * checked all fuses next to battery and under glove box and all are GOOD.
    * mechanic checked the starter direct and the solenoid and motor engaged no problem.
    * Temp override of clutch switch did not fix problem.
    * tried the IG SW to "on" negative battery disconnect and reconnect thing i found on a forum and still NOTHING.
    * no CEL's
    * All alarm functions work, lock, unlock, panic. I set alarm and open drivers door and alarm went off just fine and reset with no problems.

WHAT I SEE: The "security" light on lower left center of dash is flashing when I activate the alarm and ALSO when I deactivate it. I have a sneaky suspicion that this is the key to my problem. I just do not know how to proceed from here.

PS: dealer help amounted to " have it towed to us and we will check it out for $199.00 and give you 10% off the repair bill" They were friendly but I can smell the bait!

This has me and the mechanic baffled. Please help me out

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Alarm works, good. Brake lights, horn and some stuff with safety, like emergency flashers, all works? Maybee the main fuse blew? There is a 150 Amp (I think that's the amps) in the box under the hood. It's bolted down. Several safety related circuits are not protected thru that and those will still work. OF course it could also be the alarm system's antitheft feature... When in alarm the car will not start. Normally the chipped key will reset that.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Yes the flashers work and brake lights and horn work. If the 150 amp fuse is in the box next to the battery, yes it is good as well. I agree that the Key should reset the alarm. I tried both keys and neither makes the flashing "security" light in the dash go out.

Thanks for the input Ingo!

PS Ingo, when I get this fixed I am taking this car to my son in Denver (Buckley AFB). He is in your neighborhood!!

There's a bunch of people (and several of them very knowledgeable) much closer -actually in the Denver 'burbs- than me in Colorado Springs... But I certainly don't mind "talking gas" with anyone. If he comes to the 'Springs I'd not mind meeting up...

Back to the issue: is there any additional security stuff installed or are we looking at a "factory" set-up...? Do the idiot lights come on when key is turned to ignition on? Has someone had the steering column and key lock area apart? I once was in there and there is a coil around the ignition lock that is the antenna for the chip in the key. If that's for some reason dis-connected or otherwise damaged the built-in security will keep the car from working.

I Support ClubWRX
    The gearbox has a grounding strap but it also has a harness clip on the top side. Your car is newer than mine but I bet it's still there. I know that harness does go to the ECU and probably the dash too. Check that harness for connection and integrity.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Good to know that my son will have some subbie company.

Nothing was done in the interior. all the work was under the hood and under the car. The car is totally stock with no mods.

SD_GR: we checked the grounding strap and it is in place. All the connectors around the gearbox were connected back to where they were.

Did you have the car since new? I mean with a used one there's a chance someone put some other junk in under the dash, like remote start... Such things have a tendency to screw up the car and after it's sold you have to rip it all out... So, how about the idiot lights? Still lighting up? I mean where all the lights come on for a few seconds, proving they work. Seatbelt, ABS, VDC, CEL, all that good stuff... If those don't come on at all and there's no modifications (like said remote start) then we're looking for a loose connector or loss of power...

Ingo: I bought it used about three months ago. I know the previous owner and I know that all the work that was ever done on this car was done at the dealer where she bought it new. It is also the dealer I bought it at. no add on's of any kind.

when I set the key to start: all the gauges kick up to max and then settle down, all the idiot lights come on and then go out, with the exception of the "security" light which stays slow blinking.

Tested battery and it test good. mechanic went through all the connectors and disconnected and reconnected them all this morning.

OK, I think that all points to the security system. It's something you can't do yourself. There is a receiver for the key fobs in the left rear column, under the plastic cover (I think) about the bottom of the last side window. I'm not sure just how much of the system is in that particular box. But if that needs to be replaced it has to be programmed into the car body control unit -an ECU for the car functions that are not engine related. There's several computers controlling the car and it's all networked. the ECU we're talking about all the time is just one component of all this "stuff".
    - Does the door lock work properly? Alarm when unlocking the door with key and then opening it? Should reset when key goes in ignition and turned to on.
    -there's a procedure to follow if batt was low or replaced: turn ignition on-off, open driver door several times, supposed to reset system...
    Looking for more...

Basic Diagnostic Procedure
    A: PROCEDURE
    Step Check Yes No
    1 CHECK SECURITY INDICATOR LIGHT.
    1) Turn the ignition switch to “OFF” or “ACC”.
    2) Wait at least 60 seconds.
    Does the security indicator light
    blink?
    Go to step 2. Check the security
    indicator light circuit.
    <Ref. to
    IM(diag)-10,
    CHECK SECURITY
    INDICATOR
    LIGHT CIRCUIT,
    INSPECTION,
    Diagnostics Chart
    for Security Indicator
    Light.>
    2 CHECK KEY SWITCH.
    Remove the key from ignition switch.
    begin to blink within 1 second
    after the key is removed?
    Go to step 3. Check the key
    switch circuit.
    <Ref. to IM(diag)-
    12, CHECK KEY
    SWITCH CIRCUIT,
    INSPECTION,
    Diagnostics Chart
    for Security Indicator
    Light.>
    3 CHECK SECURITY INDICATOR LIGHT.
    Turn the ignition switch to ON.
    go off?
    Go to step 5. Go to step 4.
    4 CHECK ENGINE START.
    Turn the ignition switch to START.
    Does the starter operate? Check the LAN
    communication
    system. <Ref. to
    LAN(diag)-2, Basic
    Diagnostic Procedure.>
    Inspect the DTC
    display (body integrated
    unit). Go to
    step 7.
    5 CHECK ENGINE START.
    Does the starter operate? Go to step 6. Check the LAN
    communication
    system. <Ref. to
    LAN(diag)-2, Basic
    Diagnostic Procedure.>
    6 CHECK ENGINE START.
    Does the engine start? Immobilizer system
    is normal.
    Check the DTC
    display (ECM). Go
    to step 7.
    7 CHECK FOR ANY OTHER DTC ON DISPLAY.
    1) Turn the ignition switch to OFF.
    2) Connect the Subaru Select Monitor to data
    link connector. <Ref. to IM(diag)-7, Subaru
    Select Monitor.>
    3) Turn the ignition switch and Subaru Select
    Monitor switch to ON.
    4) Read DTC’s on the display.
    Is the DTC displayed on
    screen?
    Go to step 8. Repair the related

Sorry, since I can't post pictures I've just copied some stuff here... I have not read it in complete....

I may have something for you, PM me.

Ingo: First off, Thanks for taking the time to help me out with this Sh**!

I will try the on/off door open thing tomorrow morning (car is at mechanic's).

I could not follow the diagnostics flow that you posted. It seems to be a Yes/No chart but I could not make out which was the "no" flow or the "yes" flow.

any way i could get the flow chart in email? I am not sure how to do that on this forum.

I think I just PM'd you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast