60,000 mile maintenance - what's necessary? 2011 WRX.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 60,000 mile maintenance - what's necessary? 2011 WRX. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Any thoughts on this? My dealer gave me a laundry list adding up to about 00. I intend to compare ...

Tad

60,000 mile maintenance - what's necessary? 2011 WRX.

Any thoughts on this? My dealer gave me a laundry list adding up to about $1000. I intend to compare it to the owner's manual, which probably doesn't recommend half of that. I admit I did have them change the plugs after reading that that is kind of an ordeal to DIY.

So from an ala carte perspective, which of these things do all of you think actually need to be done? My perspective on long-lived cars is change the oil frequently, repair as necessary. I am not usually a "preventative maintenance" guy, unless I can be convinced that there is (1) a performance benefit; (2) a safety issue; or (3) a significant chance of catastrophic (i.e. expensive) failure with no action e.g. timing belt.

Thanks!
    2011 WRX Limited Sedan OBP
    STI Short Throw Shifter
    License to practice law

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    My opinion is worthless. So is the dealer's though. The difference is I don't have a financial interest in seeing you follow my opinion, whereas the dealer does.

So instead follow what the manufacturer states. Do it to the letter, no less -- but no more.

If your model is like mine it's due for spark plugs, all filters, all fluids, and a wheel rotation. While you're in there check the brakes and any/everything else. What's due, I'd do. What's not in the book I'd not do. Your car is a later model so I think your fuel filter is different (and may no longer even be considered expendable) and your intervals may be different. Look in the book and get pricing for only those items. The plugs are a pain, the brake fluid is easier with two people, and so on but it's all within DIY limits.

I prefer authentic parts. I definitely use authentic coolant but not necessarily other fluids though.

If your model is like mine the timing belt is due at 105K, not 60. Have a look to be sure though.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    subarugenuineparts.com
    +
    read the service manual
    =
    60k maintenance done

The list of required items is in the Warranty Manual that came with the car. I tried to find it online, but no luck.

Dropped my car off this morning for her 60k and the dealer called a few hours later (presumably after doing the plugs) and recommended I do a "Decarb" on the engine...I asked him what was involved and he sort of danced around an answer. Bottom line, they dump some crap in your gas tank and spray some crap in your intake and call it a day. Considering he wanted $100 to run the service, I told him no, sounds like snake oil. I'd think you'd be hard pressed to find a late model vehicle that would benefit from such a treatment when you run good gas in your car all or most of the time. I'll ask for the plugs when I pick her up, see if there's anything actually there or if it's just an up-sell from the maintenance department.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.