po171 CEL. HELP NEEDED!!!!

This is a discussion on po171 CEL. HELP NEEDED!!!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; alright guys so here's my issue. this CEL has been coming up for a week now on my daily 03 ...

po171 CEL. HELP NEEDED!!!!

alright guys so here's my issue. this CEL has been coming up for a week now on my daily 03 bug eye. the thing is it ONLY comes on while im cruising on the freeway going over 60mph. these are the things ive checked:

-hoses are all intact
    -cleaned the MAF sensor
    -airbox is sealed fully
    -no apparent leaks in intake hosing
    -replaced front o2 sensor (old one was toasted, was all white)
    -intercooler has no leaks, neither does bpv
    -fuel pressure regulator is dry(no leaks) and hoses are intact

so the only things I can think of are either my headers(pre o2 sensor) have a leak, or the intake manifold. the reason why I don't think its the spark plugs or injectors is the spark plugs were replaced this march and if the injectors were done the car would have a misfire right? the reason why im stumped is the car runs PERFECTLY fine. purrs smoothly and idles smoothly... I want to take care of this asap before it does more harm to my engine. so any help or input would be appreciated. ive been researching this for almost a week.

thanks CLUBWRX!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Go to a local meet. Beg to rent a known good MAF in exchange for pizza.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Go to a local meet. Beg to rent a known good MAF in exchange for pizza.
    That would still set the cel off during freeway speeds?

I Support ClubWRX
    Just as a dirty MAF would, yes, so could a faulty MAF. Just a suspicion. Not worth buying a MAF blind. Swap one temporarily and see. Also check the harness closely. It's a pain but I prefer it to ignition troubleshooting so my bias would make me start at the MAF.

Also, the air box can crack particularly near the tabs on the top and their inserts on the bottom. This is the portion nearest the motor of the filter housing. That's a Hail Mary though wild guess though.
    Last edited by SD_GR; 10-01-2013 at 10:19 PM.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Check the link in my signature for more options if u don't get it fixed.

I'm battling the same thing. I'll swap mafs and see if mine clears.

Mine did indeed clear with a swapped MAF!

this is so funny i was going to post this up as well i threw this code yesterday and traced all the piping and the maf got cleaned spark plugs are new idk btw dam is at 16 and im staying out of boost car runs perfect this came out of absolutely no where
    Dont buy cheap ebay knockoffs, thats disgraceful to the Subaru you drive, its not a rice rocket, and you're nota Ricer and it has the possibility to be broken more easily. - Roger