Crying tears of joy after leakdown/compression results

This is a discussion on Crying tears of joy after leakdown/compression results within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hi all, about a year ago I started getting random misfires on cylinder 4 on my 2002 WRX. I worked ...

Crying tears of joy after leakdown/compression results

Hi all, about a year ago I started getting random misfires on cylinder 4 on my 2002 WRX. I worked myself into a panic after reading various horror stories about burnt valves, cracked rings, etc. Fortunately for me my wife wasn't working at the time, so I borrowed her car until I could diagnose the problem. Well, before I could figure it out (because honestly, I couldn't make time), I got sent on a 6 month assignment for work. I really missed driving the WRX (her name is Betty) and the commutes to and from work in a CRV only made things worse. Well, I got back last month and finally found time to do both leakdown and compression tests. Here's the numbers:

Cylinder 1: Compression - 156 PSI...... Leakdown - 6.7%
    Cylinder 2: Compression - 153 PSI...... Leakdown - 5.5%
    Cylinder 3: Compression - 154 PSI...... Leakdown - 4.4%
    Cylinder 4: Compression - 158 PSI...... Leakdown - 6.7%

Now I don't now about everyone else, but seeing these numbers gives me chills Pretty good for an engine with 170,xxx miles!!! And not bad for a Monday!

I've been following this list, so clearly I've got a few more things to try, but it's good to know it's not the internals:
    IF YOU HAVE A MISFIRE CODE ,PLEASE READ THIS!!!

I hope if you find this after searching "cylinder 4 misfire" that it gives you hope. It's not always rings or valves!
    2002 OBP WRX - Stage II - "Black Betty"
    1987 Subaru GL Wagon - Stock - "Mr. Ratburn" - SOLD

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Cool story.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar