03 WRX shaking when I hit ~40 mph

This is a discussion on 03 WRX shaking when I hit ~40 mph within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; About a year ago I blew my engine on my 2003 WRX and just recently replaced it with a stock ...

03 WRX shaking when I hit ~40 mph

About a year ago I blew my engine on my 2003 WRX and just recently replaced it with a stock JDM motor and transmission. The swap went smoothly and took only a few hours to get settled into the vehicle and bolted down. The engine and transmission came attached so cutch should have been aligned by Subaru factory in Japan.

My issue now is that when I get up to about 40 mph the car shakes violently and will not stop shaking until I have come to a complete stop. I did disconnect and reconnect the drive shaft to put the new transmission so maybe the shake is from that? Ive spent quite a bit of time checking the drive shaft for any time sign of errors but haven't noticed anything unusual.

Things I have already checked: rotated all the tires, installed new front axles, brakes rotors are straight, engine and tranny mounts are bolted down tight, no strange noises coming from wheel area. I put the car on jack stands with all 4 wheels off the ground and got up to about 60 mph and the wheels are spun straight with no weird shaking so I am thinking the shaking can only be produced under load.

This vehicle was also put on a tow truck 4 times from when it broke (flat bed tow truck), to when I was able to fix it. Maybe the tow truck bent something? Ive read all the other threads about vehicles shaking and mine is definitely different. Please help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    One of the diffs in the transmission could be fried. You'd have to open the trans case and inspect the viscous clutch plates or whatever they're called. It can cause the car to shake violently, like a harsh shaking mixed with some vibrating and grinding.

Ugh, ya, that's my nightmare. If its screwed, I need to contact the JDM motor company that I bought it from. Engine and transmission are supposed to be in working order.

Quote Originally Posted by mzeek View Post
    Engine and transmission are supposed to be in working order.
    Supposed to be, but you never know...start by checking the clutch and flywheel assembly before you go tearing transmissions apart.

I'm guessing the engine/tranny came with a warranty from that second hand motor company?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Warranty is 30 days. I have 10 days to figure issue out or I am stuck with it.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Yeah, start with the clutch like Mikie said, you've pretty much covered every other base. I was in the same boat, and by the time I figured out there was a problem and diagnosed it, the yard I bought it from went out of business and there went my 1 year warranty and my money. Such a shame because it had such low miles and my money was completely wasted. Just gotta keep positive and remember it's just money.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    Just gotta keep positive and remember it's just money.
    lol Money and time, money and time...No big deal. Thanks guys. I appreciate the advice.