To extend my warranty or not? Need a little advice.

View Poll Results: Extend my STI Warranty???

Voters
11. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

2 18.18%
  • No

9 81.82%

This is a discussion on To extend my warranty or not? Need a little advice. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey everyone. I have a 2011 STI WRB approaching 36,000 miles within the next 4 months or so. I am ...

To extend my warranty or not? Need a little advice.

Hey everyone. I have a 2011 STI WRB approaching 36,000 miles within the next 4 months or so. I am going crazy trying to decide whether or not to extend the warranty with Subaru Gold Factory Warranty. I do plan on doing a little bit of modding (Stage 2 tuning at most, Catback exhaust, downpipe, intake) nothing crazy. I also am really digging the look of what the 2015 WRX "COULD" look like. If it looks anything close to the concept car, I don't plan on keeping my car for any longer than 2 years. I am so paranoid at the face of needing serious repairs done right after my factory 3/36 warranty expires, but also want to do a little modding. Please tell me what you guys would do in my situation. Going to do a simple yes or no poll as well. Thanks guys, I know this is a repetitive question but there is something about people answering my direct question that would let me put my mind at ease. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    I'd opt for no. Extended warranties rarely if ever pay for themselves unless the car in question is notoriously unreliable. It's pure profit for the sellers of the warranty.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    I'd opt for no. Extended warranties rarely if ever pay for themselves unless the car in question is notoriously unreliable. It's pure profit for the sellers of the warranty.
    Agree completely. Especially if you like what the '15 DOES look like and decide to replace your '11. You're only shelling out money for no reason and giving the next person to own that car (if sold 3rd person), a warranty that you've already paid for. If you don't beat on your car too much, there's no reason your car should break down or require this extended warranty.
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

What is the time frame allotted for extending one's warranty after the current expires? Based on your situation I would opt for "no." There's too many unknowns at play right now.

I Support ClubWRX
    You can actually extend the warranty after you have bought the car? I was under the impression that you had to extend the warranty within a certain time frame.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    No bewbs option. This poll is invalid.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Brazilnut
    What is the time frame allotted for extending one's warranty after the current expires? Based on your situation I would opt for "no." There's too many unknowns at play right now.
    Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx
    You can actually extend the warranty after you have bought the car? I was under the impression that you had to extend the warranty within a certain time frame.
    I believe as long as the vehicle is still under the factory warranty, you can purchase an extended warranty through Subaru.

Mine was purchased when I bought the car with 18K miles. Never used it, though, so it was "wasted $$"...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I was dumb enough to get a warranty. Towards the end I had them go through the entire car.
    The cost to for the minor repairs came out to less than what the warranty was worth.

Thanks guys for the advice. I think I am going to choose not to get one. It seems I always know what I am ultimately going to do but just need the little encouragement from others that have been in my situation.