05 wrx running(kinda) rough

This is a discussion on 05 wrx running(kinda) rough within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok I'm running out of ideas. I have an 05 WRX. Mods- 3" turbo back exhaust, cold air intake, catless ...

05 wrx running(kinda) rough

Ok I'm running out of ideas. I have an 05 WRX. Mods- 3" turbo back exhaust, cold air intake, catless UP, and turbo inlet. After I installed the turbo inlet I can barely get it to run. Once it fires it does the initial rpm rise as usual, then drops to maybe a hundred then fluctuates very rough or dies. My boost gauge shows normal 20 vac during the initial fire up the goes to around 10vac. I can only get it to stay firing for a about five to ten seconds. I have hose clamps on every hose and have double and triple checked everything. I even did new bpv and y pipe gaskets. I think it's a leak somewhere but I have no idea how to do the soap test if I can't get it to run. Any ideas, tips, or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Sounds like a leak to me. Try checking the connections to the intercooler. I took mine off the other day and it was a bear to puck back on right. The large hose absolutely refused to seat on the intercooler properly. After a lot of cursing and sweating I tried a little bit of clean motor oil on the seals and managed to get it to slide in and seat properly. What a pain in the arse! Should be easier next time though since I will use my trick from now on. Usually you can hear a leak that would be large enough to cause it to stall out. Try using a propane torch (not lit obviously haha) and stick it around all your fittings You can even attach a rubber tube to the torch to get into the tight areas. Starter fluid will work too. Once you hear the RPM's spike up you've found your leak. Thats all I can think of for advice. Any possibility that the ECU's tune is affected by the different parts on the motor? Hope you figure it out and good luck.
    2013 Plasma Blue Pearl Impreza WRX Sedan

I Support ClubWRX
    Which way does the MAF face? Is the harness side of the MAF nearest the nose of the car?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by Slimjim1457 View Post
    Ok I'm running out of ideas. I have an 05 WRX. Mods- 3" turbo back exhaust, cold air intake, catless UP, and turbo inlet. After I installed the turbo inlet I can barely get it to run. Once it fires it does the initial rpm rise as usual, then drops to maybe a hundred then fluctuates very rough or dies. My boost gauge shows normal 20 vac during the initial fire up the goes to around 10vac. I can only get it to stay firing for a about five to ten seconds. I have hose clamps on every hose and have double and triple checked everything. I even did new bpv and y pipe gaskets. I think it's a leak somewhere but I have no idea how to do the soap test if I can't get it to run. Any ideas, tips, or input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for looking.
    Are you tuned?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning