smoke already!!

This is a discussion on smoke already!! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; This car I just purchased nine days ago. I have not been driving it hard at all. It had plans ...

Exclamation smoke already!!

This car I just purchased nine days ago. I have not been driving it hard at all. It had plans to go get its 72000KM service in a few days. Now today I start it up. Engine check light is on!! Then I listen and hear a loud sound coming from my hood. so I pop the hood and hear a loud fan or something similar going. So I determine its coming from the black container that i have a red arrow pointing to in the pictures. I shut the car off, And that sound kept going for another two mins, Smoke started to come out, it continued for another two mins till it slowed down to a stop. It started again only very slow this time. It stopped after another slow minute. The item in question was very hot to touch. I almost burnt myself when I just touched it quickly. I have no idea what this is or what it means. I phoned the extended warranty place they said to get it towed to a garage that they use in my area. So its gone to be looked at tomorrow. I am very concerned for another reason other than the obvious engine check light and the smoke. I did put seafoam in the crankcase and in the gas tank following the advice from this forum. I have only driven less than 100 km since putting the seafoam in my car. As it was going in for a full service in two days I wasn't too concerned about that seafoam being in too long. But is the warranty place going to be able to say that because there is seafoam in the gas and oil that the warranty wont cover it. Can someone please help me understand what this black container is and what kind of issues are going on. I am panicking a little as I just sold the farm to be able to get this car and the extended warranty. I really will be in a tuff spot if I have to pay for some costly repair. HELP!!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails image201309240003_3.jpg   image201309240005_2.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

what year is your car?
    when my friends come up, i hear, "you sold the camarrrroooh.....HOLY BLEEP A WRX!"
    Ya has that effect on me too.
    Rob

Where did he go?? http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/builds...ll-thread.html

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    That is your air pump. It's strictly for emissions purposes, but go get the code read to verify that's what is causing the CEL. If it is your air pump that's broken, then you'll have two options. You can either replace it, or do an air pump delete mod. I suggest replacing it.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.

I just spoke with the garage and he just said the same thing. That is what the code was. He said he cleared it and is going to take take for a drive as he doesnt see anything wrong with it.
    UMMMMM!!!! I said "it was smoking btw"
    I mean sounds like he just reset the computer and the code didnt come back. But I wanna know why it stayed on in the first place for 5 extra minutes and smoke came out of it?
    I could have reset the code. I am not liking the sound of this garage. But its the one that the warranty place said to tow it to. The guy also says
    "we would have called you but we didnt have your number."
    I told him I gave it to someone the other day.
    " OH someone must have lost it then"
    BULLSH*T ?!?\Anyways, Thank you for the reply. I hope they replace it? I dont think those parts are supposed to smoke are they?

Its a 2009 wrx

Captain James of the SS Impreza has gone down with the ship Drews's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    Is it still smoking and sounding weird? Could be just a fluke.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #Eleventy,000,000,000|N.E.R.D. Member 20,000
    Stable: 2014 Hyundai Veloster Turbo (Matte Grey), 06 LGT, 03 WRX, 98 RS, 00 OBS

Resident Clubdub Debbie Downer. I'd love your ideas if you kept them to yourself. Subarus suck, get a new wife.

Never argue with idiots. They'll drag you to their level and beat you with experience.