used seafoam and???
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on used seafoam and??? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I purchased a bottke of seafoam. added just over half to a full tank of gas. the other bit I ...

used seafoam and???

I purchased a bottke of seafoam. added just over half to a full tank of gas. the other bit I dumoed in ths oil. I have drove less than 5 km and my lt/100 went from 8 to 25?!
    pkease tell me I didnt wreck something. I used the seafoam as it was recommended I use that to help clean out my engine. I also have the seafoam fog that I will use after this tank of gas is gone. but seriously why did my gas milage jump soo much?!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Since you mention lt/100km I suspect you have a new car; the older models don't have a fuel consumption readout. You don't need to clean anything anyway if so.

However, you already have, so: From the MSDS the stuff is isopropanol, naphtha, and oil. Your motor should be fine. It won't combust at the same temp or pressure as fuel though; maybe that's why your system sensed a difference.

I'd just let the stuff in the fuel be. I don't know how excited I'd be about the stuff in the oil but the volume you added is so small that I'd not be too worried about that either.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Good to hear. I am just worried about my new used car. It goes into the shop next week for its 72000KM service. so It will have all its fluids changed then. They will be going through my car with a fine tooth comb, And anything out of place I am sure I will hear about. The stuff in the oil I have read should stay in there till next oil change. But I think I will only get 200 km on before it goes into the shop. Thank you for the fast reply.
    IT is a 2009 wrx hatch with 78000 km on it.

I Support ClubWRX
    OK sure no problem. Nice car.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    OK sure no problem. Nice car.
    There you go "trolling" again!

-The J
    New Members, CLICK & BOOKMARK these links:

"Driving most supercars is like trying to manhandle a cow up a back staircase. . . This is like smearing honey into Keira Knightly" -JC

I Support ClubWRX
    Heh...

Quote Originally Posted by TheJ View Post
    There you go "trolling" again!

Yep, nothing but useless posts from sd in this thread.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    There has been concern that Seafoam added to the crank case may increase bearing care. Most people opt not to add it to the oil for this reason. I have added it to the oil in my car occasionally (maybe once every two years), but I don't leave it in there. I pour it in, let the car idle for a minute or two, then change the oil.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MainFrame View Post
    There has been concern that Seafoam added to the crank case may increase bearing care. Most people opt not to add it to the oil for this reason. I have added it to the oil in my car occasionally (maybe once every two years), but I don't leave it in there. I pour it in, let the car idle for a minute or two, then change the oil.
    TBH I was disappointed in the MSDS. They got away with listing "Pale Oil" as an ingredient. I suppose this is kerosene but it could be any light mineral oil. Sure, it won't matter anyway but this was an MSDS... I'd want something more specific.

Anyway: If so their ingredients are kerosene, isopropanol, and naphtha, and a half bottle would be around 250 ml (they use "pint" on the bottle without shame... Sigh...) in 4,5L of oil. I'd not be too alarmed. No harm in changing the oil a touch sooner but the OP is doing that anyway.

So was getting the Seafoam Fogger a bad Idea. I have been looking at people on youtube with some serious smoke coming out the exaust after use. I am just wanting to essentially get the inside of My motor as clean as possible before i continue to maintain it. The previous owner, Well I dont know how well they looked after it. So I will be starting my 72000 km next week. Was planning on running the fogger the day before i take into the shop. They will be resetting the fuel management computer so might be best to fog it then...any thoughts on this.

I Support ClubWRX
    If you follow the instruction burning the stuff should be safe. Whether it's worth your time is up to you. At 72K your car is, well, quite new. Your call IMO.

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I'm not even sure what "Seafoam fogger" is. When I use Seafoam I usually dump half the bottle into the gas tank, and suck the other half directly into the engine via the BPV vacuum hose. The first time I did it to my 02 WRX in 2008 it smoked like crazy (which means it is working). In the following years it has produced very little smoke, leading me to believe it's not needed quite as often. I'll probably continue putting a can of it through the gas tank once or twice a year, but I don't think you need to do the direct engine treatment more than once every two or three years.

I'm not even sure what "Seafoam fogger" is. When I use Seafoam I usually dump half the bottle into the gas tank, and suck the other half directly into the engine via the BPV vacuum hose. The first time I did it to my 02 WRX in 2008 it smoked like crazy (which means it is working). In the following years it has produced very little smoke, leading me to believe it's not needed quite as often. I'll probably continue putting a can of it through the gas tank once or twice a year, but I don't think you need to do the direct engine treatment more than once every two or three years.
    Yeah we used a bottle on Zax's bugeye wagon 2 Cretinfests ago on the last day...needless to say, it made the entire camp site look like a warzone
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

easiest explanation I can think of, Its a can of air with a special type of seafoam in it. lots of youtube vids on it. I was more wondering should I wait to use it and continue to let the seafoam I put in the gas tank and crankcase work a little longer, Then fog it.

This statement above has me a little concerned. I wont be driving my car much till it goes into the shop on the 26 of sept. but that means the seafoam I put in the crankcase (just under half a bottle) will have a week to be in there. the comments about me doing this or not doing this treatment so often are valid. I wont be doing any seafoam in gas or crankcase for a while. I really just want to get my wrx back to the best and cleanest condition. then i can beat hell out of , jk. The alignment is getting done plus the 72000km service. To me at that point it will be back to square one. I plan on doing the seafoam fogger the day before i take it into the shop.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.