HELP!! Oil leak.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on HELP!! Oil leak. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2012 WRX sedan and discovered some oil leaking under the engine bay. The leaks appeared very minor ...

HELP!! Oil leak.

I have a 2012 WRX sedan and discovered some oil leaking under the engine bay. The leaks appeared very minor but they still concern me.

The first leak was the larger of the two. The follow 3 pix and 1st vid shows what's going on. I'm trying to figure out where the leak is coming from and how to address it. Any input is appreciated. The 2nd vid shows a very minor leak at the oil temp sensor thread on a sandwich adapter. I'm just going to try and tighten the sensor in more but any input on that is appreciated as well.

If there are previous threads or stickies that I may have missed regarding these issues, I apologize; please link the appropriate threads.

2012 WRX Unknown Oil leak - YouTube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dNd3OQYNj_0
    Last edited by DwnShft4WRX; 09-15-2013 at 05:37 AM. Reason: Links failed.
    When life passes you by, DownShift! - DSC

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I would bring it to the dealer, you have a 2012 use that warranty.

I've already considered that. However, I'm modified so...you know how that goes.

The underside of your car is fantastically clean. My engine has small oil leaks (from what I think are the breathers above the heads), but I don't let it bother me since I regularly check my oil level. Do you know if your oil temp. sensor was meant to be installed with some kind of lubricant (like PTFE tape on a tapered thread) or gasket?
    David - '05 WRX

I do over the top maintenance on my car and I guess it shows. I also regularly check my oil and all fluids for that matter; all levels are prime.

To my knowledge, my oil temp sensor was to be installed as is; no lubricant, sealant or gasket. I have the Defi Racer oil temp gauge.

I'll check the under side of my engine bay in a week or two and see if the oil leak returns. In the meantime, I have no clue what to fix or if there is anything that needs to be fixed. All I know is that a leak is not good.

Do you recall where your oil leak was coming from? Was it the same area as mine? Is it supposed to be leaking or was something loose or broken? Thanks for any input.

Dealers know people buy Subarus to modify them. That said, ask them straight out if they are mod friendly.
    Dealer #1 near me is totally mod friendly, they service Subies with built engines and all. Dealer #2... not as friendly, basic mods ok.
    Unless they can prove your mods caused the damage, you're ok.

Guess I'll give the dealer a call and see where they stand regarding mods.

Update. My experience at the dealership was, not surprising, horrible. But all that aside, I'll just get straight to the point. The service techs removed the throttle body to intercooler hose and replaced it with the same, but new, throttle body to intercooler hose.

The techs says that it's "normal" for a brand new car designed for performance to be leaking oil like it is.

After my dissatisfying experience at the dealer, I came home and wrote a complaint letter to SoA. I doubt they will care but whatever. Needless to say, I will not be going to that dealer anymore. From this experience, I prolly don't care about the factory warranty now either.

Thanks everyone, for your input.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.