Boost Creep?

This is a discussion on Boost Creep? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys ive been reading up on boost creep lately and people say its from running a catless dp with ...

Boost Creep?

Hey guys ive been reading up on boost creep lately and people say its from running a catless dp with catless catback. I just ordered my megan catless dp and tactrix and hopefully be running stage 2 next week. Next weekend i will probably get a custom exhaust done at a local muffler shop. (They actually do quality work for around $300). I am wondering if i will experience any boost creep if i go catless on my exhaust with my dp... or should i get a cat for my exhaust??
    And also would it be good just to run a dp with no exhaust on stage 2? ive heard that helps stop the boost creep... Thanks guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    downpipe and cbe question

Cats will provide some back pressure and can reduce boost creep but according to EJ, it is not the way to remedy boost creep.

Running open downpipe is not practical and would be the least restrictive option, I don't see how that would help. Not to mention it would be very very loud.

Weather or not you *will experience boost creep, no one can say definitively. What do you drive?

06 sti so do you think running just the catless dp with the stock exhaust would be fine?

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Only certain turbos have the tendency to creep, so it depends on what kind of car you have.. and even then not all cars fitted with that turbo will creep.

*edit - the stock turbo on your 06 STi (VF39) does not normally have boost creep, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Ok im on the stock turbo so boost leak wouldnt be that big of an issue? Do you think i will be good going catless dp and catback?

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    It's very unlikely, but we can't say 100% no you won't.

People run 04-07 stage 2 STi's with full catless exhausts all the time. It's not a big deal. I honestly wouldn't sweat about it. There's probably like next to a 0.1% chance you will creep lol.

Fasho thanks, so im assuming if you have more power theres a bigger chance of creep?

Quote Originally Posted by boboSTI View Post
    so im assuming if you have more power theres a bigger chance of creep?

Nope, the two are unrelated.

Creep is a result of the wastegate not being able to bypass enough exhaust gasses to properly control turbine speed.

You should be fine. ALOT of people run catless just fine. However once you start putting down more piwer with more boost than your stock internal wastegate can handle, that's when you start getting problems
    2013 WRX sedan - MODS = pretty much ever bolt on.

Quote Originally Posted by elblanco1987 View Post
    You should be fine. ALOT of people run catless just fine. However once you start putting down more piwer with more boost than your stock internal wastegate can handle, that's when you start getting problems

Do you mean less boost than your stock wastegate can handle? What you're saying is basically the opposite of what happens when the IWG is too small for the turbo (which is what causes boost creep).

That's actually exactly what I was saying.
    2013 WRX sedan - MODS = pretty much ever bolt on.

Just to clarify, the MORE boost you are running the LESS problem you will have with boost creep (if you're running a turbo that is prone to creep, which the OP is not).

im running a catless DP on my 2011 wrx and have no experienced any boost creep that i can recall. only time my boost jumps past my target is if i put my foot into the floor in 5th gear, which i heard ur not supposed to do anyways