Oil film inside intercooler

This is a discussion on Oil film inside intercooler within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Decided to check out the throttle body and make sure its clean because sometimes I get a flutter at idle ...

Oil film inside intercooler

Decided to check out the throttle body and make sure its clean because sometimes I get a flutter at idle when warmed up. Just wondering if a slight film of oil inside our intercoolers is normal. I did have to add just under a half quart of oil after 2k miles after my oil change, some warm city driving in there too. Again does this sound normal for our cars? It only has about 5k miles on it. I realize turbos leak a little oil just by design. Wondering too if the crankcase ventilation vents before or after the turbo? I've never owned a Subaru before and all the hoses seem to disappear under the intake manifold. I'd rather ask than tear apart the intake.
    2013 Plasma Blue Pearl Impreza WRX Sedan

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by UAC-2145 View Post
    Decided to check out the throttle body and make sure its clean because sometimes I get a flutter at idle when warmed up. Just wondering if a slight film of oil inside our intercoolers is normal.
    Yes.

I did have to add just under a half quart of oil after 2k miles after my oil change, some warm city driving in there too.
    Consumption will vary with motor age (break in, broken in, nearly broken, broken). Check frequently, keep it topped up.

Again does this sound normal for our cars?
    It does not sound abnormal.

I realize turbos leak a little oil just by design.
    I'd not say leak. Push by or blow by maybe, but then again those terms are used elsewhere too. Anyway, yes.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    It is considered normal. My 2004 (bought new) used to have this problem. An air / oil separator stopped this entirely. GrimmSpeed makes one that is fine for a daily driver, but not a good choice for performance drive (high G cornering). Crawford makes a fine, but expensive unit that is perfect of all types of driving.

I had (still have it off the WRX) a GS installed and replaced it with the Crawford. I could find out if the GS unit I have would work on a 2013 if you are interested ...

A catch can will also work, but needs maintenance. I'd opt for a separator.

Love your avatar! I still play Doom!
    Last edited by Sasquatch; 09-11-2013 at 02:53 PM.
    Moderator for: Aftermarket Vendor & Installer Review / Detailing Forum / Engine Modifications / Exterior & Appearance
    New Member Hangout / Off Topic / Tri-State
    ScoobyDMC #003 Blobeye Syndicate #10
    2004 WRX Sedan PSM 5MT Tactrix Stage 2+ Blouch TD04 19T @ 21 psi
    Mods & Pics

I Support ClubWRX
    Go oil catch can. Cheaper. Very easy to empty once in a while.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasquatch View Post
    Love your avatar! I still play Doom!
    Thanks!. Have you tried the Brutal Doom mod for GZDoom. It's insane. Brutal Doom mod - Mod DB

Thanks for the quick replies guys.
    2013 Plasma Blue Pearl Impreza WRX Sedan