2013 wrx, check engine light
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2013 wrx, check engine light within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey guys, I was driving about two hours to a car show yesterday, when i got about five minutes away ...

2013 wrx, check engine light

Hey guys,

I was driving about two hours to a car show yesterday, when i got about five minutes away i was beating on the car a little but not to bad. I ended up thowing a check engine light so i waited about an hour for the car to cool down.. When i came back and started the car the light was still on until i put it in reverse and then re parked my car was when it shut off...

When it came on i was going around 70 in 3rd gear, if you guys have any ideas on what this could be feel free to bring it up!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Any mods? any reason not to bring it to the dealer? New car usually means warranty so why not let them deal with it since it's free.

If you don't have a warranty, we can't help you without knowing the code. So read the code, do a quick google search for that code it should give you some ideas on what's wrong with it. If you're still unsure post up the code here.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Why don't you read the code? Just telling us that you have a CEL is useless...

Cast your bets now! Personally I'm guessing it's an overboost code.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Not to savvy with the car, no mods, i think im at 1300 miles. The reason i didnt take it to the dealership is because i am stationed in Altus, Ok and the closest subaru dealership is Oklahoma City which is about 2 and a half hours away.. What do you mean by read the code?

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    You can hook up a device to the obdII port and it can see what code it is. Knowing the code is important because there are like 50,000 bajillion different ones

Autozone, advance auto, or any other auto store should provide free code readings

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

Quote Originally Posted by brennermoore View Post
    Not to savvy with the car, no mods, i think im at 1300 miles. The reason i didnt take it to the dealership is because i am stationed in Altus, Ok and the closest subaru dealership is Oklahoma City which is about 2 and a half hours away.. What do you mean by read the code?
    Find an Autozone, Advance, etc and ask them to read the code. They'll know what that means. They plug in to the car with a device that tells them more specifically what caused the CEL to come on.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Even thought the CEL is no longer on?

Even if it's not showing on the dash it can still show up in a scan, and it's worth finding out so you can address any potentially harmful issues right away. Especially since you haven't modified it based on what you've said, so the dealer would be able to get it taken care of without issue.

Okay sounds good, thank you!

I believe so...should be logged in the memory until the ECU is reset IIRC.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

Yes definitely. If the light came on then it will be in memory. Most codes go into a "pending" mode first and the monitors wait and see if the problem has gone away. If it hasn't in a few driving cycles the CEL will illuminate. Maybe it was some bad gas causing the knock sensor to read too much knocking in the engine and then it went away once you burned through it. I know you said you are far away from the dealer but if it were me I would basically throw the keys at them and say fix it. We certainly paid enough for these cars so there is no good reason the check engine light should be on. I've put almost 5,000 miles on my 2013 and I have had no issues yet. I have even done some hard pulls almost to the red-line with no issues or CEL. At least get the code read by one of those places the others mentioned just for peace of mind.
    2013 Plasma Blue Pearl Impreza WRX Sedan

alright the guy at o'reillys said it was a camshaft position sensor. Here are the codes, P0341 P0346.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Cam position sensor? I'd take it to the dealer... your cam sensors shouldn't be bad at 1300 miles...
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

he said to throw that sensor there could have been a lot of variables, and i should not have anything to worry about.. But just because it is under warranty i will probably take it to the dealer when i get time.

he said to throw that sensor there could have been a lot of variables, and i should not have anything to worry about.. But just because it is under warranty i will probably take it to the dealer when i get time.
    omg.....if a cam sensor code comes up on that new of a vehicle...it is something to worry about.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast