So.. My 2013 WRX is coming up to 3k miles soon
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on So.. My 2013 WRX is coming up to 3k miles soon within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I bought my WRX in June and now it's almost time for my first oil change!!! What kind of oil ...

So.. My 2013 WRX is coming up to 3k miles soon

I bought my WRX in June and now it's almost time for my first oil change!!! What kind of oil should I use? I heard Mobile 1 isn't very good for it... :/ I was debating weather or not to buy the Subaru oil. Soo... any suggestions? What kind do you guys use and what's your mileage now?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'm coming up on my first oil change soon. I'm thinking rotella 5w40 and oem oil filter

Sammich Makin' Pwincess wrxtreme06's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX

desiree
    your friendly, neighborhood subaru girl
    abbigale : 06 impreza wrx tr: cobb stage II
    hawkeye alliance #11:11//
    wingl3ss @ll!ance #17 // lvl 80 N.E.R.D.

I Support ClubWRX
    I used all the free oil changes from the dealer before I switched to amsoil 5w-30

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by WRB REXXY View Post
    I bought my WRX in June and now it's almost time for my first oil change!!! What kind of oil should I use? I heard Mobile 1 isn't very good for it... :/ I was debating weather or not to buy the Subaru oil. Soo... any suggestions? What kind do you guys use and what's your mileage now?
    I did my first oil change yesterday per the recommendation of the dealer at just over 1000 miles. I think I will run mobile oil because of the warranty they offer along with the agreement mobile and Subaru have.

~ jtk07~
    using Tapatalk - please disregard typos!

Did my first oil change last night. I went with motul 8100 x-clean 5w-30 + oem filter.
    '02 Sentra SE-R Spec V SOLD
    '13 SWP WRX 4-door
    -Invidia Q300 cat-back-Cobb AP Stage 1 v331-

Ive been Mobil 1 on mine for a yea now and never had an issue, i use the mobil 1 high performance or whatever its called, it has gold stuffs on the bottle
    2013 SWP WRX Sedan
    Hillside, NJ
    Invidia Catless Downpipe, Custom Short Ram Intake, Self Tuned Using ECU Flash, Romraider and Tactrix

What I'm getting at right now is... Rotella 5w 40? I thought the WRX used 5w 30? and the high performance Mobile 1?

I Support ClubWRX
    Mobile is in Alabama.

Read the manual.

Read the link provided above.

Read the manual again.

Find a local product that meets the specs in the manual and keep dated receipts.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by WRB REXXY View Post
    What I'm getting at right now is... Rotella 5w 40? I thought the WRX used 5w 30? and the high performance Mobile 1?
    Called Cobb and they recommend rotella and a higher grade because our car "tends to burn oil faster"

I Support ClubWRX
    If you are under warranty only what SOA writes matters. If warranty isn't a concern for you have at it.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by wrxnguyen View Post
    Called Cobb and they recommend rotella and a higher grade because our car "tends to burn oil faster"
    What Cobb location did you call? Do you recall who you spoke to?

~ jtk07~

Quote Originally Posted by jtk07 View Post
    What Cobb location did you call? Do you recall who you spoke to?

~ jtk07~
    Cobb in fountain valley CA. Can't remember who I spoke to

I sold my WRX with 47,000 miles on it. I changed the oil every 3,000 miles and never burned a drop. Not once did I have to add any between oil changes. I was stage 1+ and definitely didn't baby it. I took it to Subaru for all my changes and they put 'whatever the hell' in it. Don't waste too much extra money on your oil. Just maintain it and change it frequently enough.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    I've used conventional oil (my manual calls for it. 2002 WRX). I've tried just about every brand of conventional oil with NAPA filters every 3-4k miles and just recently switched to Rotella T6 with OEM filters every 4-5k miles. Which is where I will probably stay. It quieted down my idle and made it smoother. Some people swear by T6 in the boxer engine and the OEM filters are best bang for your buck. Also T6 is only $21 per gallon where I live. I have over 270k miles on my engine.
    Last edited by wreckingball man; 09-09-2013 at 01:54 PM.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.