Hoping someone can help me out
Results 1 to 10 of 10

This is a discussion on Hoping someone can help me out within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So my buddy has a 2010 wrx with 3" cobb downpipe, 3" invidia catback, process west TMIC, Cobb sf intake, ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Watertown, New York
    Posts
    113

    Hoping someone can help me out

    So my buddy has a 2010 wrx with 3" cobb downpipe, 3" invidia catback, process west TMIC, Cobb sf intake, Grimmspeed ewg up pipe, tial 38mm waste gate, and grimmspeed boost solenoid.

    scenario: Just recently installed the upipe and when it was finished the waste gate wouldnt open because the shop didnt have the resources to tune and the boost would spike dangerously high. Later that week the shop did a road tune, because the shop doesnt have a dyno, the car gets to 17 lbs of boost and throws a cel (P0108) and starts to drop boost. Apparently the guy who did the road tune used a cobb accessport stage 2 map and then used the accesstuner to tune it.

    Has anyone had this problem or know what it is? I suggested taking it somewhere to get a protune on a dyno, is this a good course of action?

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,670
    I Support ClubWRX
    What does the person doing the road tune say?

    Any dyno tune should include a road tune cleanup, anyway, so it's not necessary you have a dyno to tune the car. It just takes longer to get it right (since you are limited to your environment), and it requires multiple illegal speed pulls on public roadways.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  4. #3
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Watertown, New York
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    What does the person doing the road tune say?

    Any dyno tune should include a road tune cleanup, anyway, so it's not necessary you have a dyno to tune the car. It just takes longer to get it right (since you are limited to your environment), and it requires multiple illegal speed pulls on public roadways.

    Well the guy at the shop is stumped. He has talked to cobb as well as conducted research on his own and he doesnt know what the code is or what the orgin of the problem is. I think my buddy told me that they are going to do some adjusting with the wastegate spring but im not 100 on that

  5. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Watertown, New York
    Posts
    113
    So i looked up the code for my 05 wrx and its a pressure sensor circuit high input- P0108. Are the codes the same for all years? I found that it is a sensor that is connected to the throttle body, could this indeed be causing the issue, i mean, is it possible?

  6. #5
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,670
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by KCAN13 View Post
    So i looked up the code for my 05 wrx and its a pressure sensor circuit high input- P0108. Are the codes the same for all years? I found that it is a sensor that is connected to the throttle body, could this indeed be causing the issue, i mean, is it possible?
    I don't have a 2010 map on this computer, but 2009/2011/2012 ROMs have it as "MAP Sensor High Input". Likely, it was just renamed, and the root cause is the same. It appears to be some kind of issue with the MAP sensor. I would start by testing to see if swapping with a known working MAP sensor on another 3G vehicle causes the issue to go away, because I've tuned 3G cars to 17+ PSI without this problem (currently working on four of them).

    I wasn't aware of anyone in the Watertown area tuning Subarus. What shop are we talking about?
    Last edited by EJ257; 09-07-2013 at 02:44 PM.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  7. #6
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Watertown, New York
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    I don't have a 2010 map on this computer, but 2009/2011/2012 ROMs have it as "MAP Sensor High Input". Likely, it was just renamed, and the root cause is the same. It appears to be some kind of issue with the MAP sensor. I would start by testing to see if swapping with a known working MAP sensor on another 3G vehicle causes the issue to go away, because I've tuned 3G cars to over 17 PSI without this problem.
    Awesome. Im going to text this to the mechanic and see what he thinks. Thank you so much

  8. #7
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,670
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by KCAN13
    Awesome. Im going to text this to the mechanic and see what he thinks. Thank you so much
    You're not talking about Eddie (the mechanic), are you? I know he does a lot of work on the Subarus up there...
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  9. #8
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Watertown, New York
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    You're not talking about Eddie (the mechanic), are you?
    Idk his name. Where does this eddie work?

  10. #9
    Master Baiter EJ257's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    On a stream bank somewhere
    Posts
    19,670
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by KCAN13
    Idk his name. Where does this eddie work?
    Not sure. I just know him from years back when I used to help run a Subaru site based out of Watertown.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

    Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

    "Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

    UNYSOC

  11. #10
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Location
    Watertown, New York
    Posts
    113
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    Not sure. I just know him from years back when I used to help run a Subaru site based out of Watertown.
    Yeah i talked to my buddy and he said no eddie there. Its a shop called beast coast customs

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •