2003 wrx with pesky p0442 code, please assist
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2003 wrx with pesky p0442 code, please assist within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hey what's up guys? OK, to start off with I just bought a 2003 wrx sedan with 75000 miles, and ...

2003 wrx with pesky p0442 code, please assist

Hey what's up guys?

OK, to start off with I just bought a 2003 wrx sedan with 75000 miles, and about 3 days after using the vehicle, it ended up throwing a check engine light. It went away after about 100 more miles were driven. A day after that the check engine light came on and went off similar to the manner of the first instance. Yesterday the light has come on and I have already driven 150+ miles and it has yet to come off.

F.Y.I., the code p0442 means a small evaporation leak. And yes, I have already tightened my gas cap. Any help?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Evap canister could be going bad, which is a fairly common issue. Doesn't hurt anything really...just throws an annoying CEL.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

Could be the seal on the gas cap. My last car had that code come and go for a while. I replaced the gas cap with a factory OEM one and it went away for good. Apparently the code can be thrown by a leak as small as 0.04" in diameter. Check out this website OBD-II Trouble Code: P0442 Evaporative Emission Control System Leak Detected (small leak)

The only way to figure out where the leak is coming from is a smoke test. They flood the entire system with smoke for about an hour and see where its coming out. Its a total waste of money in my opinion. You can try a new gas cap but it doesn't affect drivability and its hardly going to make a difference on the o-zone layer. Probably too late to save the planet anyways. Haha. I don't know if you emissions regulations for state inspection where you live but there are ways around that too.
    2013 Plasma Blue Pearl Impreza WRX Sedan

I forgot to say that the engine is also making a very short, random, squeaking noise that makes the car surge. This all happens in less than a second, and has become more and more frequent. I am almost certain this has something to do with the cel.

It's definitely possible. Although vacuum leaks tend to only cause issues during start up and idle. The squeaking could be anything. Probably just the belt slipping. And a small leak in the system shouldn't make any appreciable difference in how the car runs. It may be a separate issue. Surging is usually from the ECU trying to find the right air fuel mixture and for some reason it sounds like its having trouble. Any modifications to the intake or exhaust? Mods will affect how the car runs if the ECU hasn't been recalibrated for any changes made. I would try the normal tune-up stuff first. New air filter, clean the MAF sensor, new plugs, clean the throttle body. Could be the ECU itself or a bad tune. I had a Chevy Cobalt that would stumble terribly when it was cloudy out. No CEL or codes. I threw a bunch of parts and sensors at it. Turns out that all the manual trans Cobalts did it. Something to do with the programming and GM's tune of the A/F ratio. I'll never make the mistake of throwing parts at a car again. Good Luck!
    2013 Plasma Blue Pearl Impreza WRX Sedan

Thanks for help so far! And I should have also mentioned that the car is stock to the bone.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.