ODD CHARGING PROBLEM....

This is a discussion on ODD CHARGING PROBLEM.... within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So yesterday on my 03 wrx I noticedmy lights dimming, radio shutting off, guages, abs light, etc. No battery light ...

ODD CHARGING PROBLEM....

So yesterday on my 03 wrx I noticedmy lights dimming, radio shutting off, guages, abs light, etc. No battery light though. Then I pulled the fyse out in the engine bay fuse box labled ALT-S its a ten amp fuse. When I pulled the fuse, it started charging again, but my battery light and my brake light came on. I put a volt meter on it and it was charging to high.. about 15.4v. The battery is brand new and it is good. Any ideas??? I'm assuming its a bad alt but the fact that it charges with the fuse out but not in baffles me....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by CalebJ View Post
    When I pulled the fuse, it started charging again, but my battery light and my brake light came on.
    Then it wasn't charging. You can't have it both ways I don't think. If BAT and BRAKE are on, the system is losing charge, not charging.

I'm assuming its a bad alt
    I'd suspect the alt or v regulator, which is built in and not worth replacing individually anyway -- so I'd be back at the alt and have that tested.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Alternator. Get that tested to tell you if it's good or not.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying