2004 Subaru WRX Clutch issue
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2004 Subaru WRX Clutch issue within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Okay so I've scoured the interwebs for a while now and it seems to me that i'm THE only person ...

2004 Subaru WRX Clutch issue

Okay so I've scoured the interwebs for a while now and it seems to me that i'm THE only person on this planet with this problem, either that or I describe my problem differently in the search engine and Google won't find what I'm looking for... Which is answers.

Here's the problem, when pulling out, usually around 0-5 mph I slowly let off the clutch, slowly push in the gas and my car shakes, my 3" exhaust rattles on the underside of my car, everything just shakes, violently! But once the clutch is engaged, it's fine! No slip, it's fine in 2nd, 3rd etc etc. Just when I'm pulling out it does this, actually it does it in reverse sometime too, but not as often. Also this problem seems to get worst as the clutch gets warmer, on my way to school it doesn't really do it, but on my way back it's terrible!

So I've been experimenting, I've asked myself, "is this car really that touchy?!" So I gave it more gas than I would other MT's I've driven, that kinda solved the problem but this involves a lot of clutch wear after time and I feel pulling out @ around 2k to 2.5k rpms shouldn't be the solution to my problem, I've tried letting the clutch grab before giving it gas and then once the RPMs start to drop, I give it gas.... This didn't work... So WTF is this things problem?! I'm not new to MT cars, I know this is AWD and that AWD cars are a bit more touchy than FWD or RWD cars, but still what gives?

I bought the car a year ago, the owner claimed it had a new clutch replaced about 15k miles ago, so I'm wondering if possibly he or who ever put the clutch in, did a ****ty job? Maybe didn't align **** up right? idk...

What should I do? Is this common? Should I just take it to a garage or a Subby dealer and have them look at it?

Because honestly it's embarrassing, it's like the entire engine, transmission and driveshaft are shaking around while my exhaust pipe is rattling about making all this noise, people at school are looking at the car and then hear/see all that **** going on and it looks like I don't know WTF I'm doing lol!

PLZ help!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It sounds like a grabby clutch, or clutch chatter. Since you don't know which parts are installed on the car though I can't say anything more.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    It sounds like a grabby clutch, or clutch chatter. Since you don't know which parts are installed on the car though I can't say anything more.
    Yeah I'm not sure what was all done to it while they changed the clutch, so should I just take it to a garage or a Subaru dealer?

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't actually think there's anything wrong with it. You could go to a garage and ask them to make sure the gearbox mounts are securs, and the bolts mating the gearbox to the motor are secure, plus check for play in the driveline. Other than that, it sounds like an annoyance.

Subaru delivered cars with a grabby clutch in 2002 and then had a voluntary recall. I got my clutch changed at 30K miles for free as a result. They installed a different clutch and a heavier flywheel and the chatter was gone. I'd not pay to have it done though out of pocket, not worth it to me.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    I don't actually think there's anything wrong with it. You could go to a garage and ask them to make sure the gearbox mounts are securs, and the bolts mating the gearbox to the motor are secure, plus check for play in the driveline. Other than that, it sounds like an annoyance.

Subaru delivered cars with a grabby clutch in 2002 and then had a voluntary recall. I got my clutch changed at 30K miles for free as a result. They installed a different clutch and a heavier flywheel and the chatter was gone. I'd not pay to have it done though out of pocket, not worth it to me.
    Okay thanks, you're very helpful! I'll do that then, in the mean time, any idea how I can minimize the clutch chatter? Do I lack a certain precision this clutch is requiring? lol

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by MisterNBG View Post
    Okay thanks, you're very helpful! I'll do that then, in the mean time, any idea how I can minimize the clutch chatter? Do I lack a certain precision this clutch is requiring? lol
    In my case, it was a combination of heat, throttle, and luck.

Do you know if it has an aftermarket clutch?

Also, what exhaust do you have? Some of them out there actually can rub against the driveshaft causing a lot of noise, especially if there is a lot more vibration from loose mounts.

A 2004 with how many miles? Cause the mounts themselves could be wearing out...the stock ones are only rubber.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning

Sounds like possible flywheel alignment. When he did the clutch did he mention flywheel resurfacing, or getting a new flywheel. Based on school of hard knocks If I do a clutch I do a flywheel as well. Just my experiences
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

I Support ClubWRX
    I know I always hate the added expense when I've already paid for a clutch kit but I end up doing the same too, you're right. Some people only do the disc, I can't imagine that when everything's apart anyway.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.