Oil Filters

This is a discussion on Oil Filters within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am anticipating the arrival of my 2014 WRX. I am in the process of getting some maintenance items for ...

Oil Filters

I am anticipating the arrival of my 2014 WRX. I am in the process of getting some maintenance items for it. I did a bit of research on oil filters and the 2014 WRX has a new oil filter part number. It is 15208AA15A. I also serched on a non-stock oil filter and the gather of the minds has good review on the WIX 57712. Anyone out there has any opinions on this?
    Last edited by jliu; 09-03-2013 at 12:50 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Get the OEM Subaru filters. Best out there, some of the cheapest. You can get them in bulk, and they come with crush washers. Done.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    I use Purolator PureOne filters. Part number is listed in the "Mods" link in my signature, I believe
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I have. 2013 wrx premium hatch swp. I have been using the k&n oil filters on my car Nd my previous car which was a nicely modded tc. I love the filter mainly because I know I can trust a great brand like k&n also what really makes it great is that is has a fitting on the end of the filter that a 1 inch socket fits on too so you can take it off easily especially if you for a hard to reach filter where it makes it hard to get a strap wrench or oil filter wrench onto. They run about $13-$15 bucks , so their not cheap but worth the money to me. Autozone sells them

I Support ClubWRX
    OEM all the way. Check out your local dealer's part dept. I usually get a good deal when I buy in bulk. Also check out Fred Beans oarts. My dealer parts dept price matches whatever Fred Beans has on offer. Of course Subaru recommends using only OEM filters. Something to do with their ability to withhold the higher oil pressures run by the boxer engines.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

I Support ClubWRX
    Purolator Pure One. OEM is crap considering they are made by Honeywell aka "Fram". And the K&N's are completely overpriced considering they don't filter any better than the Purolators. The big thing to look at is the filter bypass rating. As far as I remember Purolator and Wix were the only aftermarkets who had that rating correct.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Purolator Pure One. OEM is crap considering they are made by Honeywell aka "Fram". And the K&N's are completely overpriced considering they don't filter any better than the Purolators. The big thing to look at is the filter bypass rating. As far as I remember Purolator and Wix were the only aftermarkets who had that rating correct.
    Well that's good information to know...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Donkey View Post
    Yes wix are good. That is who makes the "napa" brand. Good filters (napa gold).

I Support ClubWRX
    I think the STP filters have the correct bypass pressure but don't know who makes them.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Here is a link I found the Wix 57712 filter for $4.89 each

Auto Parts and Stuff - Search