Trouble with boost.
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Trouble with boost. within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So I have been working with an anonymous etuner to tune and now diagnose my car. The problem I've been ...

Trouble with boost.

So I have been working with an anonymous etuner to tune and now diagnose my car. The problem I've been having is I'm not getting close to hitting target boost. My current tune is set to just under 19 psi. I've only been hitting around 8 or so. I replaced boost control with another Oem one and nothing changed. I have tried with and without restricor pill which my tuner told me he tuned it for the removal of it and the psi changes by a couple when I add it back but still well under target and it cuts out. Without it it's smooth but I stay under 8. My tuner thinks I have a bad wastegate but I'm getting conflicting stories from other forums. My tuner tried to tune it for use without the wastegate vacuum connected but it was unstable and resulted in overboosting. Now he is advising me to purchase a manual boost control so I can run stable without a wastegate. Just wanting some thoughts from the forum here. No vacuum leaks and adjusting wastegate actuator arm only had minimal results.
    Stephen
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533787 <--- Good Info
    2002 Impreza WRX "BugEye"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Good news, everyone! xxxxxxxAnub1s's Avatar
    I Support ClubWRX
    You need a new tuner.
    Cody
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #727 N.E.R.D #255.255.255.0

Your nighttime volunteer of near-useless information.
    Good news, everyone!

At this point I'm still kinda wondering what to do. Going to try flashing back to stock to see what results I can come up with. Other forums say if you overboost with the we disconnected then its ok. So I have a hard time believing that's it. Yet with it disconnected he was able to tune it where I was hitting just over target and getting cut. So it seems I would be able to hit target with a Mbc tuned for lower boost. Just really wanting to straighten out which is true.
    Last edited by Random2006; 09-02-2013 at 06:21 AM.
    Stephen

I Support ClubWRX
    If you understood how the wastegate system works you would see very clearly that it is impossible to tune boost if you have completely removed the vacuum source from the wastegate actuator. The boost will be completely unpredictable and uncontrollable. The ECU has the ability to disable the boost controller and run wastegate boost if the IAM drops bellow a certain point. I would check the IAM. If everything is fine then I would test the boost control solenoid and then test the harness for power. Also check for a boost leak. If there was an issue with the boost control I would not have even tuned the car without fixing that issue first.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Thanks for the input. It could just be me making assumptions because what my tuner advised me to do was to completely disconnect the vacuum lines from the boost controller. Just from what I've read I couldn't wrap my head around the process of running without the boost controller. And I had swapped out the boost controller with another stock one but that maybe where my issue still is. I think maybe I've had some miscommunication with my tuner and I should try the mbc
    Stephen

Problem ended up being the Bosch spark plugs I had. Replaced with NGK and now I'm running full boost.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Stephen

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.