rear running light problems

This is a discussion on rear running light problems within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; first off i apologize if this wasnt the spot to post this, i wasnt really sure where to. this might ...

rear running light problems

first off i apologize if this wasnt the spot to post this, i wasnt really sure where to.
    this might be a hard problem to describe but basically i just got my 2002 wrx a week or so back and im having an issue where my rear driving lights wont turn on, i bought some new led bulbs to replace the bulbs and still no luck
    my turn signal and reverse both WORK, its just the bottom 3 set of bulbs that are acting up. this is where it gets confusing (and im going to buy a couple more regular bulbs and see if they work) but i have one bulb where i put it in and it will light up while the running lights are on and will get brighter when the brakes are pressed, it works in the 2 outter brown sockets on each light but not the inner grey ones. i switched out 4 or 5 other bulbs and none of them will light up unless the brake is pressed (then theyll light up).
    even if i could get just one running light on each side to work id be content so i wouldnt get pulled over. i took a picture of the car a couple days ago while the car was parked and in reverse to get a picture of the new leds i put in and the 2 bottom outter bulbs were lit up. im not sure if the whole bottom row of bulbs should be lit up when in park or what? im just confused and cant find any pictures or info on this. ive checked the voltage on all the wires and the correct wires all ready about 12v, sorry if this is rambling on but im completely lost, all fuses are good too.

on another note i also see if i have a mystery toggle switch on my dash on the driver side, i assumed it was a killswitch but i flipped it and it didnt do anything? any ideas what this could be?

thanks for any input!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I'll tell you what...it is kind of hard to discern what you are saying. All I get is that lights aren't working.

As for a random toggle switch? That's not a stock thing...so get under the dash and trace the wires attached. Take some pics of all this going on and post up. It will help us to help you.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

i apologize its just that theres a ton of variables im trying to figure out right now haha,

as for the toggle switch its wired into a little box that says python, which im guessing is a security system which my car has, but my car also has a sticker that says protected by a subaru security system. not really sure why a second system would be hooked up unless python is the brand that subaru uses. but then again im pretty sure they wouldnt install it from the factory with the toggle switch just hanging there

also can someone just send me a link or some pictures of what an 02 wrx looks like with its brake lights fully on and with the rear running lights on by themselves. i know it sounds silly but i cant find pictures anywhere and i dont want sit here trying to make a bulb light up that shouldnt lol

I Support ClubWRX
    Did the rear lights work before you installed LEDs?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

the two lower outside bulbs worked when i had the parking brake up, honestly im not sure i hadnt really driven the car during the night since i just got it registered. im gunna try buying the oem replacement bulbs, if they dont work ill go from there i guess

fixed the problem, it was actually a couple of things haha. it was a combination of a loose ground, then checking with a voltometer i saw that all but one of the bulbs i had were burnt out and to top it off the led bulbs i got in the mail were supposed to be 7443 bulbs which have 2 prongs on each side and the ones i received only had 1 prong on each side (not sure if those are 7440's or what the difference is)
    but sure enough fixed the ground bought some new bulbs from walmart and im all good!