'13 wrx first oil change coming up
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on '13 wrx first oil change coming up within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; so first oil change is coming up on my '13 wrx and like anyone I was wondering what oil to ...

'13 wrx first oil change coming up

so first oil change is coming up on my '13 wrx and like anyone I was wondering what oil to use, after some research and a lot of different oils and opinions and all that I have decided to either buy this oil Royal Purple 5w-30 Synth OR the subaru branded oil.. any opinions on this are welcome.

I already purchased the original blue oil filter and washer

any advice you guys have please share, i'm doing the oil change myself and I know I need to remove the cover below the engine to access the oil filter so please share any tips on that aswell.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Follow the link within this thread:
    What oil should I use?? Need some help
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Lots of posts on this already, but my biggest bit of advice is to get a drainage pan/reservoir with a wide mouth. Things get pretty messy as you unscrew the drain plug, but swapping the filter is definitely the dirtiest part.

Go with something like this
    Lisle/4.5 gal. oil drain pan (LIS17952) | Oil Drain Pan | AutoZone.com

Instead of something like this (too narrow)
    Blitz/10 qt. oil drain pan (11837) | Oil Drain Pan | AutoZone.com

EDIT: Also, ramps save a lot of time compared to jacks/stands

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Follow the link within this thread:
    What oil should I use?? Need some help
    I already read that thread, i'm pretty much looking for opinions on my choice of oil specifically the royal purple from people that have used it on their car.. and advise on how to make my life easier when I do my oil change

I already have ramps, fumoto valve, original blue oil filter, and will buy that wide mount tray recommended by mcdbrendan

Remove filling cap to allow air in the top of the engine which will help it drain quicker. I usually drain the plug first until theres a good time gap between the drips (usually 10-15 mins). Put a new washer on and tighten the drain plug (in your case just close your fumoto valve). Then move to the oil filter and move your drainage pan below it. The filter is going to be hot, so be careful. Slowly unscrew the filter - oil will overflow from the top and drop into the pan. Continue to slowly unscrew until it is free, and slowly tip the filter into the pan. Let that drain for a few minutes until it stops dripping, put the new filter on, and re-fill.

I have no experience with RP, I've always use a Valvoline Full Synth.

Not Royal Purple.

If you search (I forget where I found it), but Subaru has a list of approved brands of oil. Royal Purple is not one of them.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan
    ProcessWest TMIC Cobb SF Intake w/airbox Invidia Catless Downpipe Invidia Q300 Catback Kartboy Short Shifter
    OpenSource tuned by: Matty @ WTF Tuning

When the car is on ramps, only put 4 quarts in it, no more. Turn the car on and idle for a minute to fill the filter, then pull it off the ramps.

The purpose of this is to finish checking the oil on level ground, otherwise you can over fill. Believe me, it will read low on the ramps, then it will be too high when level.

Oh, and the flat side of the drain plug crush ring goes against the drain plug.

I Support ClubWRX
    Rotella or Amsoil.

Some notes from my recent first oil change:

The plastic under-cover is held on by 2 plastic rivets (in the front wheel wells), 2 plastic clips (at the rear of the cover), and 3 bolts. The rivets would be easy to reach if the car was on a lift (wheels fully down), but I had to do it from beneath when the car was on ramps. Maybe someone with tiny hands could reach over the tops of the wheels, but I couldn't manage it.

The oil drain plug took a fairish bit of torque to break loose. I resorted to a 1/2" socket drive.

The original crush washer on the drain plug was painted on to it. Had to mess with it for a bit before it came free; I didn't want to scratch the mounting surface of the plug.

Oil? Pennzoil 5W30 Platinum from Wally World. Maybe not the best, but not expensive (5 qt for $25 + tax). Pennzoil Ultra seems to be esteemed, but none was to be had that day.

I used a cheap (approx. $3) cap style filter (63 mm, I believe) on the oil filters. OEM was one of the black ones, replaced it with the blue Subaru filter.

KHP
    Quote Originally Posted by bobkn View Post
    Oil? Pennzoil 5W30 Platinum from Wally World. Maybe not the best, but not expensive (5 qt for $25 + tax). Pennzoil Ultra seems to be esteemed, but none was to be had that day.
    As bobkn said Pennzoil Ultra is a great oil to use in your WRX (Specifically the 5w30 SN EC/GF-5 GTL formula). I have used it in my last two changes and is also my current fill. The GTL base stock is very stout and does not shear in our EJ255 and EJ257 engines. Meaning that it stays at 30 viscosity compared to some of the others that shear down to 20. Our engines are very sensitive to oil thinning. Also as a plus it has all the lubricant certifications to meet factory requirements and keep warranty intact.

Downside is that it's getting very difficult to find. Anyway I was proactive enough to stash up on PU when my local WM had it on clearance for less than $15 per 5qt jug. I have enough of it to last me another 75,000 miles @7500 mile oil change intervals lol.

If you're interested in technical stuff check out my Used Oil Analysis Results: http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...31#Post2973531
    Last edited by KHP; 08-28-2013 at 10:17 PM.
    2011 WRX Limited Spark Silver (5 Door)

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.