Strange overboost issue

This is a discussion on Strange overboost issue within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello! I've been looking around the forums for quite some time. I have some issues of my own and can't ...

Strange overboost issue

Hello! I've been looking around the forums for quite some time. I have some issues of my own and can't seem to find an answer. Here is my problem:

*follows thread sticky*
    There are no performance mods to the vehicle, it is completely stock.
    2005 Wrx, 90k miles.
    I bought the vehicle used and there was a turbo issue -- it ended up being the vac lines being connected improperly, switched them around and the boost is actually building..too much!

Okay, so I boost leak tested today and there were no leaks to be found. I ended up taking my vehicle to a shop and the mechanic found the issue, the vac lines being crossed. Anyway. On the way home, I was watching the boost gauge on and off and I realized it's climbing incredibly fast. I just thought that was normal, but it didn't stop until I was at .13MPa and realized that's way too high for a stock car I don't really know where to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    It's not a stock car though is it?

The vacuum lines weren't crossed at the factory; someone installed something then changed it back, presumably.

Find out what else has been changed.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

The engine was replaced with an engine that has 80k miles along with the turbo. They are both stock though.

pics of the engine bay please? Specifically around the turbo, and the area around/under the passenger side strut tower.

Stock boost should be around 13.5-13.9psi.

If you hit 0.13bar as you stated above, you're only hitting under 2psi. Now if you meant to actually say 1.3bar, then you'd be hitting over 18psi which would mean you are not stock. I'm wondering if there's an MBC on there...or if your vacuum lines are missing the restrictor pill before the stock boost control solenoid.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    pics of the engine bay please? Specifically around the turbo, and the area around/under the passenger side strut tower.

Stock boost should be around 13.5-13.9psi.

If you hit 0.13bar as you stated above, you're only hitting under 2psi. Now if you meant to actually say 1.3bar, then you'd be hitting over 18psi which would mean you are not stock. I'm wondering if there's an MBC on there...or if your vacuum lines are missing the restrictor pill before the stock boost control solenoid.
    I don't mean to be rude, but I'm pretty sure that the stock gauge only goes from -.1 to .15, which is..correct me if I'm wrong, -14.5 to 21.755 PSI and from my reading I am thinking it's the restrictor pill as well. I'm heading out to check now

Quote Originally Posted by JesusFreak View Post
    I don't mean to be rude, but I'm pretty sure that the stock gauge only goes from -.1 to .15, which is..correct me if I'm wrong, -14.5 to 21.755 PSI and from my reading I am thinking it's the restrictor pill as well. I'm heading out to check now
    No rudeness at all...you're right. My mistake. I immediately heard "stock boost gauge" and thought "oh the units are in Bar" for some reason, not realizing the stocker is in MPa
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Well, I'm back. I found out that there is no restrictor pill - so I'm just going to replace the lines. I'll let you know what happens

Hopefully that's it! Good luck!
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

I don't want to state the obvious, but you said your car is completely stock. I am assuming this is with the exception of the Up pipe, right? Your year comes with a catted Up pipe and you should change it to a Catless to prevent the CAT being sucked into the Turbo.
    Last edited by kprugbyplaya; 08-28-2013 at 05:59 AM.
    Į\_(ツ)_/Į
    Kunal - Ordered 2015 DGM WRX
    Photographer | Dancer | Tech Nerd | The Stink-Eye Mob #7
    First Mods: What and what not to do
    2011+ Big Mod Thread
    How to Buy a Used WRX or STI
    Complete USED WRX Buying Checklist

Quote Originally Posted by JesusFreak View Post
    Well, I'm back. I found out that there is no restrictor pill - so I'm just going to replace the lines. I'll let you know what happens
    Ahh nice. That's what I was thinking.