Thinking of buying a WRX. Maintenance cost?

This is a discussion on Thinking of buying a WRX. Maintenance cost? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Im thinking of buying a WRX. So im wondering what are cost for maintaining it like parts and such. So ...

Thinking of buying a WRX. Maintenance cost?

Im thinking of buying a WRX. So im wondering what are cost for maintaining it like parts and such. So pretty are parts for the Subaru expensive? What can you compare the prices to?
    Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Im speaking from an 02-07 year model point of view. Could be different for new cars. Parts are equivalent to a Toyota or Honda. As always new OEM parts will be costly but not like buying BMW parts by any means. Also, second hand parts are also very abundant due to the large enthusiast group.

The wrx is a great choice if you're looking for middle of the road as far as price and power. Its the goldylocks Impreza.

With the awd system you have to be very periodic and stringent with alignments, rotations, and such. One of the unforeseen costs is if you get a flat tire you will have to replace all four tires at once. That's why u usually see full size spares on jeeps that are usually a part of the tire rotation. Tread depths are very important in 4wd/awd.

Quote Originally Posted by johnny.tran View Post
    Im thinking of buying a WRX. So im wondering what are cost for maintaining it like parts and such. So pretty are parts for the Subaru expensive? What can you compare the prices to?
    Thanks
    It's like owning any car. Oil changes are average...replacing struts are average when they go...timing belt service is average...

I mean, we need some specific questions here if you want some answers. What are you worried about? What years are you looking at? Etc...
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I've had my 2009 for 33k miles, and the only replacement parts I've purchased are wearables like oil/filters/washers, fluids, and tires. I've used my WRX to teach myself all the normal maintenance, which has made my WRX the least expensive car I've owned thus far (compared to a couple Jeeps). I buy parts online in a bulk (buy a dozen oil filters/washers and you'll save money) and fluids from Walmart (hate the store, but prices are crazy low) whenever there is a sale. Mods are what hurt my wallet...

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    Im speaking from an 02-07 year model point of view. Could be different for new cars. Parts are equivalent to a Toyota or Honda. As always new OEM parts will be costly but not like buying BMW parts by any means. Also, second hand parts are also very abundant due to the large enthusiast group.

The wrx is a great choice if you're looking for middle of the road as far as price and power. Its the goldylocks Impreza.

With the awd system you have to be very periodic and stringent with alignments, rotations, and such. One of the unforeseen costs is if you get a flat tire you will have to replace all four tires at once. That's why u usually see full size spares on jeeps that are usually a part of the tire rotation. Tread depths are very important in 4wd/awd.
    Thanks for the info. Good to know about the tires.

Thanks. I dont have anything specific. Just what you could compare how much parts are for the wrx. thanks

Thanks.

Ok.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by johnny.tran View Post
    Thanks. I dont have anything specific. Just what you could compare how much parts are for the wrx. thanks
    It's impossible to answer your question, then. You are asking for a comparison, but haven't specified any other cars. For example, let's compare owning a WRX to commuting via elephant, or daily-driving a unicycle. Each of them is all "wheel" drive, so that's a fair comparison, right? :rollseyes:

If keeping maintenance costs low is your number one priority in buying a car, then a Honda Civic is far better choice than any Subaru. The WRX's AWD system, although an archaic design, is fairly robust, and I'd argue highly effective when utilized by an experienced driver. However, by its nature it has more moving parts, and more bits to go wrong than a RWD or FWD system.

The flat four boxer engine develops an impressive 106hp/L, is relatively lightweight at around 200lbs for the longblock, and sits low in the engine bay thanks to its boxer design. The downside of this layout is that it requires 4 camshafts to achieve an effective "DOHC" configuration and parts like sparkplugs are less accessible compared to an inline 4. Again, more parts to go wrong, and a bit of extra time servicing them when they do. Does this make it bad? Not at all, just realize that there are trade-offs to any car choice, and then pick a car that best suits your needs.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

He who shall be last, shall be sideways and smiling... - Jeremy Clarkson

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    It's impossible to answer your question, then. You are asking for a comparison, but haven't specified any other cars. For example, let's compare owning a WRX to commuting via elephant, or daily-driving a unicycle. Each of them is all "wheel" drive, so that's a fair comparison, right? :rollseyes:

If keeping maintenance costs low is your number one priority in buying a car, then a Honda Civic is far better choice than any Subaru. The WRX's AWD system, although an archaic design, is fairly robust, and I'd argue highly effective when utilized by an experienced driver. However, by its nature it has more moving parts, and more bits to go wrong than a RWD or FWD system.

The flat four boxer engine develops an impressive 106hp/L, is relatively lightweight at around 200lbs for the longblock, and sits low in the engine bay thanks to its boxer design. The downside of this layout is that it requires 4 camshafts to achieve an effective "DOHC" configuration and parts like sparkplugs are less accessible compared to an inline 4. Again, more parts to go wrong, and a bit of extra time servicing them when they do. Does this make it bad? Not at all, just realize that there are trade-offs to any car choice, and then pick a car that best suits your needs.
    Sorry for not specifying what I meant but Thanks. Someone said its comparable to a Honda so that pretty much what I wanted to know and the extra info im hearing is good also. Thanks for the info.

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    If you were to pick a Subaru axle and a Honda axle they'd be about the same in price....but the Subaru has four axles. Spark plugs would cost the same for just about any car....but the Subaru plugs are way down in the engine bay and would be more in labor charges.

Just kinda echoing Rambo at this point lol.

Quote Originally Posted by wreckingball man View Post
    If you were to pick a Subaru axle and a Honda axle they'd be about the same in price....but the Subaru has four axles. Spark plugs would cost the same for just about any car....but the Subaru plugs are way down in the engine bay and would be more in labor charges.

Just kinda echoing Rambo at this point lol.
    Ok thanks a lot.

I'm guessing it would be quite a bit less than my former BMW. Very few independent shops would service my car in Omaha, parts were expensive, and labor was outrageous ($140 per hour IIRC). So my WRX should be a bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff View Post
    I'm guessing it would be quite a bit less than my former BMW. Very few independent shops would service my car in Omaha, parts were expensive, and labor was outrageous ($140 per hour IIRC). So my WRX should be a bargain.
    Yeah probably a lot cheaper. All European cars cost more to fix. Parts are crazy expensive.