Frozen lug nuts.... Happy happy joy joy

This is a discussion on Frozen lug nuts.... Happy happy joy joy within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Stupid me I managed to freeze 3 lug nuts with my air gun. I managed to shear one off by ...

Frozen lug nuts.... Happy happy joy joy

Stupid me I managed to freeze 3 lug nuts with my air gun. I managed to shear one off by standing on my breaker bar.. Does anyone have any idea of how to get these off with out shearing them off? Or should I just he-man and replace all 3 studs since I'm stuck replacing 1 already. Yes the air gun is staying away from my lugs for now on.....

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by DorBink View Post
    Stupid me I managed to freeze 3 lug nuts with my air gun. I managed to shear one off by standing on my breaker bar.. Does anyone have any idea of how to get these off with out shearing them off? Or should I just he-man and replace all 3 studs since I'm stuck replacing 1 already. Yes the air gun is staying away from my lugs for now on.....
    There is nothing wrong with an air gun. Just don't over tighten and always thread the lug nuts on by hand to prevent cross threading.

Did you cross thread them? Or extremely over tighten them?

I threaded them by hand but was in a hurry and I likely gave them an extra spin to much. I was thinking of going to discount tire and asking if they could loosen them with a pneumatic gun. I sheared the first
    One using a breaker bar on my 4 way.