Misfire on all 4 cyl (have tried misfire thread)

This is a discussion on Misfire on all 4 cyl (have tried misfire thread) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So here is a little back ground. I bought an 03 wrx from my old boss. We used to work ...

Question Misfire on all 4 cyl (have tried misfire thread)

So here is a little back ground.

I bought an 03 wrx from my old boss. We used to work on cars together the man is a very talented mechanic. He helped his friend do a full rebuild on the car after the thing overheated and warped the heads. They bought a new short block from EFI on 7/5/11. the bought re-manufactured heads from a shop in CT. the car was assembled and then driven for around 5000 miles. on 11/29/11 the car was taken to a shop in brooklyn where the vacuum system was smoked and found no leaks. they also checked live data and found nothing. they suggested it be brought to a Subaru dealership in their notes. on 1/3/12 the car was brought to EFI and checked. the receipt has labor for diagnose misfire, replace coil packs and A/C tensioner. There are no notes as too a solution or what the problem was. this is the last receipt I have before I bought the car in july of 2012. I was told the car had 5000 miles on the new engine and there was 115000 on the body. The car had a CEL that would come and go for a misfire on all 4 cyl. Car drove fine but idled a bit rough.

Fast forward to today. I have put about 40k on the car. I commute 100 miles each day all highway. Lately the CEL has stayed on and it will flash if I accelerate rapidly. I fell also as if the idle has gotten worse. I followed the thread that donkey posted as well as some other online forum research I have tried.

I have to date replaced the spark plugs (NGK Iridium properly gaped), I cleaned the MAF (also unplugged and misfire stayed), I know that all 4 coils have been replaced, I have cleaned the battery terminals and coil pack grounds, I added grounds to the car, I know the car was smoked for vacuum leaks but I also checked with spray for a pickup in RPM's and got nothing, and lastly today I ran a compression check and got between 165-150 on all four on a cold engine.

The car is stock. and the codes I am getting are p0301-p0304. I at one point had a multiple cyl misfire but I am no longer getting one. My last theory in which I know nothing about is that the is something programmed into the ecu. The car came with the original Cobb access port. I am thinking that maybe there is a map in there that might not agree with the car. Any thoughts or input is greatly appreciated. I am a very competent mechanic and have access to just about every tool I could need except Subaru specialty tools. I can't really afford to bring my car in and have them run up hours of diag on it so I'd like to use that as a last resort.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    If you have the Access Port you can tell exactly which map is loaded onto the car.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I do its the ancient one but I'm not very savy when it comes to tuning with computers. What should I look for?