turbo noise?
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on turbo noise? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Yesterday I did a bit of modding/tinkering. A few days ago I swapped my IC hose from stock to a ...

turbo noise?

Yesterday I did a bit of modding/tinkering.

A few days ago I swapped my IC hose from stock to a Samco, car felt like it had more grunt, no strange noises. Drove around with that for a couple of days. Then yesterday I wrapped a short peice of the top of my down pipe, about 7in, using some leftover wrap from doing my uppipe. I also put the stock IC hose back on so I could get some measurements on the Samco, got an IC swap planned.

After wrapping the downpipe and swapping the IC hose I drove for it 20min out and 20 back. I heard some type of higher pitched whine/whistle. It was audible when spooling from vaccum to a few pounds of boost, didn't get over 5psi on trip. It stuttered when the BPV vented. It sounds to me like my turbo might be on its way out. I rebuilt it with quality parts about 10k ago. It has been running good and strong until the other day.

I thought it might have been the stock IC hose, it has a small bend/rip at the compressor connection so I put the samco back on. Still got noise, little quieter though.

I did check all the vaccum lines around the turbo, nothing loose or cut.
    I haven't checked the gaskets on the IC (hose elbows or BPV), they did look good when putting the samco back on. And I did tighten all the bolts on the IC to good-n-tight spec.

Anyone got any ideas on troubleshooting this noise?
    N.E.R.D. # 3.579545 MHz

Bugeye Mafia v 2.0 # 371

pete25r's build

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Pressure/smoke test to check for leaks
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

good idea.

what all should I test?
    IC and hoses for sure.
    I'm leaning toward it being a IC elbow gasket.
    N.E.R.D. # 3.579545 MHz

Bugeye Mafia v 2.0 # 371

pete25r's build

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by pete25r
    good idea.

what all should I test?
    IC and hoses for sure.
    I'm leaning toward it being a IC elbow gasket.
    Pull off the intake and plug the MAF hose with your pressure tester. Cap off the PCV line on the turbo inlet. 10 PSI should be all you need to hear any leaks.
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

I did try a little of the boost leak test. Didn't get anywhere, didn't have enough things to clamp/plug hoses with.

I did swap my stock TD04 back in. Took me a few hours.. stupid rusty turbine housing.. but got 'er done.

Noise is gone. Sprung a slight coolant leak, new hose clamp should fix that.

I'll do some more testing tomorrow but it sounded good on the way home.
    I'll tear down the whiny one and see what's up her sleeves.
    N.E.R.D. # 3.579545 MHz

Bugeye Mafia v 2.0 # 371

pete25r's build

So it looks like the problem is contaminants in the oil.

There was no oil starvation, no in/out shaft play, nothing terribly unusual. A little dirty/coked oil at the turbine shaft gap ring area.

The bearings where good and shiny, looked almost new. The turbine side had a fresh looking scratch all the way around. I'm guessing some junk got between the bearing and the CHRA and went for a ride.
    Should be ok, scratch isn't on top of oil ports/holes. There's no binding or anything.
    N.E.R.D. # 3.579545 MHz

Bugeye Mafia v 2.0 # 371

pete25r's build

Registered User wreckingball man's Avatar
    Thanks you for posting a resolution. Many threads are missing this and leave later readers to wonder.

I had some pics too but you couldn't really make out the scratch. I didn't shoot a few steps of the tear down so it would have been kinda weird.

the turbo was rebuilt by me about 10k ago, was working great until one day it sounded something like a dentist drill. Thought it could have been a boost leak, chased that for a minute, no luck so swapped it with a spare.

didn't see any burnt/heat stains on turbine shaft or bearings (nothing unusual anyway), didn't see any other problems besides that one scratch.

did I ever tell you guys I HATE FRIGGIN SNAP RINGS. Them things are a PITA.
    N.E.R.D. # 3.579545 MHz

Bugeye Mafia v 2.0 # 371

pete25r's build

I found this link below a few weeks back and am doubting my previous diagnosis.

I think the rebuild kit couldn't handle the porting job I did. There was about as much coked oil near where the turbine shaft enters the bottom of the CHRA as it had before the rebuild. I drove it for about 15k after PNP/rebuild and it had around 70k before rebuild.
    I'm thinking the piston rings or thrust parts were not strong enough. After the PNP job it was going into positive pressure around 1750 rpm.

turbo research blouch goodness:

Blouch Performance Turbo
    N.E.R.D. # 3.579545 MHz

Bugeye Mafia v 2.0 # 371

pete25r's build

It's been a while since I thought about messing with the noisy TD04. Think I might be on to something though.

I got to thinking about what could be allowing that noise to happen. The sound made me think it was something loose letting the turbine-compressor assembly wobble enough to be off balance.
    There wasn't really any in/out shaft play but it would kinda click like it wanted too.

So I got to thinking about what could be allowing the noise to happen. I tore down the turbo again to see if I missed anything. The bearings and thrust parts looked ok, some signs or use but no burned oil or crazy scratches. I broke out the calipers and measured all the parts that came in the rebuild kit. The biggest difference I saw was like .03mm, ok not perfect but not bad.

Another thought I had was the fact that I hadn't run the TD04 before I rebuilt/PNPed it. Dude I got it from said it sounded like it was about to eat itself. Maybe that noise was caused by bearing failure, they did look scratched up a bit(oil contaminants?). That could have made problems where the bearings "float" in the CHRA.

I've got another CHRA assembly from a TD04 with a beat-up turbine (just the fin area). I swapped all the goodies into the other CHRA, got the cold and hotside on. Off course I checked for shaft play. Side to side was good. Couldn't get the same feeling on in and out. It felt much firmer. No "click".

So next weekend or so I'm going to swap that bad boy on and see if I still have a cavity to drill out.
    N.E.R.D. # 3.579545 MHz

Bugeye Mafia v 2.0 # 371

pete25r's build

Got the newest incarnation of my rebuilt/PNPed TD04 on today. Tried to replace the coolant line to the tank on the manifold. Didn't have the right tubing I guess, it was bending weird and was pinching closed, didn't use it.

So far no weird noises. Just drove it home from where I did my swap which was about 5 miles. I did sound different than my untouched stock TD04 but didn't sound bad. Sounded more spoolish, like air rushing through the filter and intake.

I'll take it out for a little better run when the roads clear up. Roads are kinda icy here and there.
    N.E.R.D. # 3.579545 MHz

Bugeye Mafia v 2.0 # 371

pete25r's build

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.