13 WRX horrid screeching sound

This is a discussion on 13 WRX horrid screeching sound within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I took my 13 WRX to the mountains yesterday with my gf. On the way home, about 1/2 of the ...

13 WRX horrid screeching sound

I took my 13 WRX to the mountains yesterday with my gf. On the way home, about 1/2 of the way, we heard a weird metal on metal sound. We both said "Glad that isn't our car" then sure enough about 5 minutes later we heard it again while turning into a parking lot and realized it was my car (most likely the steering) Looking over the car, I could not find anything wrong and all the fluids/belts were fine.

So I drive the car the rest of the way. It started getting louder and more frequent. It would do it while both driving and turning, but more so when turning. It also sounded like something was being pressurized. It got so bad that I pulled over for a few minutes. Then I decided to get going again because I was almost home. It started doing it again, then just completely stopped, drove 6 more miles, still no noise and hasn't done it since. I drove around my neighborhood for quite a while and it still didn't do it. I drove it again this morning, and again it was perfectly fine. No noises and drove normally.

I'll also mention it was raining during this time. The car has 3,600 miles. Any advice on what this was?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

the only thing I can think of is a slightly loose belt. don't really know without hearing it...
    N.E.R.D. # 3.579545 MHz

Bugeye Mafia v 2.0 # 371

pete25r's build

I Support ClubWRX
    Still under warranty. Take it in IMMEDIATELY.

If I had to venture a guess, could be the power steering. Have you been able to reproduce it on command or does it come and go?
    http://shiftinglanes.com
    '14 DGM WRX Limited Hatch
    I'm a build thread?
    Stink-eye Mob #49

If it only happened under braking, I'd guess you had a small stone stuck in the brakes which has now dislodged itself. If it happened at other times, I really don't know and I'd agree with the previous comment of taking it to the dealer to check it out.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Soobvirgin View Post
    If it only happened under braking, I'd guess you had a small stone stuck in the brakes which has now dislodged itself.
    Yep, I'd say you had a stone or other debris lodged between the caliper and disk. I had a twig get stuck there once, and it made a horrible screeching noise at all times, not just braking. It really sounds like your car is giving a death wail. Just like you did, I pulled over and let the car idle, but the problem stopped. Realizing that, I checked the brakes, pulled out the twig, and was good to go.

Try to partition out the issue. Do you only hear it under braking? When turning? normal driving? etc.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Yep, I'd say you had a stone or other debris lodged between the caliper and disk. I had a twig get stuck there once, and it made a horrible screeching noise at all times, not just braking. It really sounds like your car is giving a death wail. Just like you did, I pulled over and let the car idle, but the problem stopped. Realizing that, I checked the brakes, pulled out the twig, and was good to go.

Try to partition out the issue. Do you only hear it under braking? When turning? normal driving? etc.
    I heard it for basically 5 minutes straight, whether I was braking, turning, etc, I could hear it. Then it completely stopped. That was Saturday evening. Drove it sunday morning, nothing. Drove it to work and back today, still nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by ShiftingLanes View Post
    Still under warranty. Take it in IMMEDIATELY.

If I had to venture a guess, could be the power steering. Have you been able to reproduce it on command or does it come and go?
    It's completely gone now. Just hoping it doesn't come back.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by itsweird182 View Post
    I heard it for basically 5 minutes straight, whether I was braking, turning, etc, I could hear it. Then it completely stopped. That was Saturday evening. Drove it sunday morning, nothing. Drove it to work and back today, still nothing.
    Most likely debris in the caliper then. If a quick once over in the engine bay and under the car (broken/loose belts, signs of leaks underneath) doesn't yield anything suspicious, I'd say you're probably good to go, but for total peace of mind, a quick dealer check might be a good idea.
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Could have been a rock between the heat shield and brake rotor...if it happens again try backing up to dislodge the rock...

I guarantee it was a rock stuck. My 2013 wrx has 5000 miles on it and it has happened to me 3 times already! I guess its because of the sticky summer tires on it? I was actually going to create a post about this a few days ago to see if it was a common occurence with these cars.

The last time it happened to me pulling into the parking lot of my workplace, I had several coworkers tell me that my car sounded like the exhaust fell off and I was dragiging it through the parking lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Rambo View Post
    Most likely debris in the caliper then. If a quick once over in the engine bay and under the car (broken/loose belts, signs of leaks underneath) doesn't yield anything suspicious, I'd say you're probably good to go, but for total peace of mind, a quick dealer check might be a good idea.
    Quote Originally Posted by WRX Piloti View Post
    Could have been a rock between the heat shield and brake rotor...if it happens again try backing up to dislodge the rock...
    Quote Originally Posted by thegamer1587 View Post
    I guarantee it was a rock stuck. My 2013 wrx has 5000 miles on it and it has happened to me 3 times already! I guess its because of the sticky summer tires on it? I was actually going to create a post about this a few days ago to see if it was a common occurence with these cars.

The last time it happened to me pulling into the parking lot of my workplace, I had several coworkers tell me that my car sounded like the exhaust fell off and I was dragiging it through the parking lot.
    Thanks for all your help guys. I think I've confirmed it was a rock. I agree with these sticky tires, they throw up EVERYTHING! I'm actually getting ready to buy all seasons before winter. These tires are dangerous in the snow!

My car has 3600 miles. Its been hit twice in the past 6 weeks (both times while it was parked, the most recent being 2 weeks ago...hit and run!) and now this. I love my car but it's seeming to be cursed
    Last edited by itsweird182; 08-26-2013 at 07:22 PM.