Rear STI seatbelt stuck
+ Reply to Thread
Results 1 to 6 of 6

This is a discussion on Rear STI seatbelt stuck within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello All, I tried putting down my rear seats in my 2013 STI sedan for the first time, and I ...

  1. #1
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2

    Rear STI seatbelt stuck

    Hello All,

    I tried putting down my rear seats in my 2013 STI sedan for the first time, and I wrapped the the middle seat belt around the side of the seat instead of over the top of it. Now the seatbelt has retracted to the point I can't get enough slack to pull it back out:

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	9571461221_dba79d1da8_o.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	8.9 KB 
ID:	115794

    So this is a bit of a ridiculous situation to be stuck in, does anyone know how to get the seatbelt pulled back out? The retractor is housed in a plastic case accessible in the trunk, but it has a hard plastic case wrapped around it I haven't forced off as I'm afraid of breaking something. Any advice would be appreciated.

  2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements
     

  3. #2
    Registered User Miggs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    North Carolina
    Posts
    258
    Can't you just pull the seat back up?

  4. #3
    Registered User mcdbrendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    853
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggs View Post
    Can't you just pull the seat back up?
    Sometimes it will be too taught to stretch around the corned of the seat, so it's stuck behind it.

    I had the same issue and was able to release the belt by removing the white cup and unbolting the seatbelt tension assembly. It should be easy to access if you pull up the plastic deck behind the seats.

    EDIT: It may work if you hold onto the belt so it doesn't retract at all as you lift the seat back up. While lifting and holding the belt, you may be able to create enough slack to pass it around the front of the seat-back.

  5. #4
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdbrendan View Post
    Sometimes it will be too taught to stretch around the corned of the seat, so it's stuck behind it.

    I had the same issue and was able to release the belt by removing the white cup and unbolting the seatbelt tension assembly. It should be easy to access if you pull up the plastic deck behind the seats.

    EDIT: It may work if you hold onto the belt so it doesn't retract at all as you lift the seat back up. While lifting and holding the belt, you may be able to create enough slack to pass it around the front of the seat-back.
    Thanks mcbrendan, that's the exact issue, the seatbelt is so tight already I can't get it back around over the top of the seat no matter if the seat is up or down. I'm going to try to remove the while plastic cup where the retractor is housed. Is there any trick to getting the cup off or does it just pop off with enough force?

    EDIT: OIC what you mean, I can probably get the cup off by first pulling up the plastic deck. Thanks
    Last edited by mchang70; 08-22-2013 at 10:07 PM.

  6. #5
    Registered User mcdbrendan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Boulder, CO
    Posts
    853
    Quote Originally Posted by mchang70 View Post
    Thanks mcbrendan, that's the exact issue, the seatbelt is so tight already I can't get it back around over the top of the seat no matter if the seat is up or down. I'm going to try to remove the while plastic cup where the retractor is housed. Is there any trick to getting the cup off or does it just pop off with enough force?

    EDIT: OIC what you mean, I can probably get the cup off by first pulling up the plastic deck. Thanks
    Yes, you can lift that plastic deck and if I remember correctly, the seatbelt mechanism drops into the white cup you saw from the trunk, and is held on with a couple bolts. You can undo the bolts and remove the mechanism to release the tension, then lift the seat and bolt it back together. I did this a few years back, so I'm sorry if things are different than what I'm describing.

  7. #6
    Registered User cflip2x's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Location
    New Jersey
    Posts
    1,435
    I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by mcdbrendan View Post
    Yes, you can lift that plastic deck and if I remember correctly, the seatbelt mechanism drops into the white cup you saw from the trunk, and is held on with a couple bolts. You can undo the bolts and remove the mechanism to release the tension, then lift the seat and bolt it back together. I did this a few years back, so I'm sorry if things are different than what I'm describing.
    when removing the deck you also need to take off the side panels its not difficult just a pain. also while you have the deck off you can add some extra padding to stop any rattles.
    2012 WRB 4DR | SPT Exhaust | Short Throw | Rally Armour | WC Lathe Werks Custom TI Knob | Kartboy Bushings | Stoptech Brake Lines | JBK Elements DRL | STI HID Retrofit | XB LED Angel Eyes | GrimmSpeed Lightweight Crank Pulley

    CFLip2x 2012 WRB WRX

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Posting Permissions

  • You may post new threads
  • You may post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •