Clutch slipping at 25k miles?

This is a discussion on Clutch slipping at 25k miles? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; While on my way to work the other day, I went to pass someone in 5th gear. Usually this is ...

Clutch slipping at 25k miles?

While on my way to work the other day, I went to pass someone in 5th gear. Usually this is an uneventful ordeal, but I noticed that my rpms jumped and then settled. It worried me a little and I thought about it all day at work, so I figured on my drive home I would see if I could recreate it. I was heading down the highway in 5th, pushed the accelerator rpms held until about 3.5-4k, and then shot up with no real speed change. I got home just a little later, and could smell the lingering of clutch. I then diagnosed with "DR. Google" and had my fears confirmed, the clutch is going bad .

I figured this to be odd, as my car is stock (no ecu modification), around 25k miles, I don't ride the clutch, I don't hold hills with it, and I generally do not launch the car (I have, but maybe a handful of times). This is not my first manual car, my last car saw over 60k of driving without any clutch issue what so ever, so I do not think it is my driving habits.

Last week I contacted my local service center about a clutch squeak, which they brushed off as a "normal" noise and lubricated the fulcrum, which did nothing for the squeak. So, I called them up that night (of the slip) and brought up that I have noticed the clutch slipping in 5th. I do not know if it is slipping in any other gear as I have been very gentle with it since then. Next Monday I will be taking a tech for a ride along and will attempt to show he/she the slip. I was then Informed that this is not a common problem, and have never seen a clutch needing replaced in a newer WRX... Contrary to the pages I have read on Google.

So, this now leads me to the real issue at heart. I know since my car is under 36K/3yr, it can be covered by the warranty, IF I am not found at fault. Which is great, as I feel I am not at fault, but am paranoid that Subaru will not agree. I am afraid that they will open it up, and go "nope" and stick me with a $1500 or so bill. Now, as I am a new home owner, $1500 is not pocket change. I know if I buy the exedy clutch kit and have the local Subie specialty shop do the install, I could probably have it done for far less. Or I could possibly take a crack at it myself and save more.

TL;DR

"Clutch started slipping, dealer knows of previous clutch squeak, don't beat on car, warranty may cover, worried that they will not and stick me with huge bill, new home owner and $$ is precious, possibly fix myself or another shop and save $$"

Now my question(s) (thanks for sticking with me) how should I go about this with my dealer? I feel I have a good relationship with them, but you never really know. Should I just have them confirm the slip, and then just have another shop fix it? Or, throw caution to the wind and fix it myself (any good DIY's)?

Thanks for reading all of this, means a lot to me, and appreciate all input!
    Last edited by Kwrxp; 08-20-2013 at 05:15 PM.
    '11 WRX DGM