Timing Belt Issue/Can someone look at this???

This is a discussion on Timing Belt Issue/Can someone look at this??? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I took the best picture I could but this is a felt piece that got slightly removed by some F'ing ...

Registered User ClosetSubyLover's Avatar

Timing Belt Issue/Can someone look at this???

I took the best picture I could but this is a felt piece that got slightly removed by some F'ing idiot that came over and finger diddled this. HE EVEN MOVED MY CAM SHAFTS THAT WERE IN TIME!!!!!!

Regardless of the point I would just like to know what this felt piece is blocking off? It doesnt seem like its blocking off oil or coolant but more like grease and dirt. Never the less I still dont know its purpose. If anyone can shed some light on this it would be appreciated.

Thank you guys in advance!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails what is this.jpg  

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You got it. It's just to keep dirt and dust out. I often found these little boots missing or swelled up because of oil contamination.

Quote Originally Posted by Dvold View Post
    You got it. It's just to keep dirt and dust out. I often found these little boots missing or swelled up because of oil contamination.
    Obviously im going to fish it back up in there but what would happen if I tore it in like 2 pieces, dabbed some RTV on this to keep it in place and call it a day? Im not one for doing things half assed but I havent really any success at manipulating the whole piece of felt

If you want to do it right then go get a replacement from Subaru. That's what I'd do if it was my car. If you decide to use RTV to stick it in place just make sure you really degrease/de-oil the area before you do. If it holds, that's cool too.

Quote Originally Posted by Dvold View Post
    If you want to do it right then go get a replacement from Subaru. That's what I'd do if it was my car. If you decide to use RTV to stick it in place just make sure you really degrease/de-oil the area before you do. If it holds, that's cool too.
    Not to keep repeating myself but if I'm able to get RTV to hold that can be a feasible solution