90K miles Burning OIL?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 90K miles Burning OIL? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I'm here again back in the forum to sick help and insight regarding my cars issues. I just changed my ...

90K miles Burning OIL?

I'm here again back in the forum to sick help and insight regarding my cars issues.

I just changed my oil about 800 miles ago, yesterday I checked the dipstick and it was already on the LOW tick mark, I don't see any oil leaking from under anywhere. I've read a thread regarding turbo engine being normal to burn oil, but I'm highly concern due to the bad stuff that happens due to oil starvation. What do you think i should check on my car, I don't see any smoke anywhere, no smell either.

I use Mobil 1 full synthetic.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Like many others my Subie would burn M1 like crazy. I use a heavy duty diesel oil now.

Any smoking ???? Thinkin rings....
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

no smoking

I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    I would use something thicker and see if that helps.. Mobil 1 5w-30 shears like a bitch in turbocharged engines.

You might try seafoam. I've used it for carbed engines, but not turbos... So don't know.
    2013 WRX Dark Grey Hatch
    1974 Datsun 260z Stroker

what do you suggest? 5w-40, I live in texas

Yeah.. 5w-40 is within factory spec for our climate here in TX. I use Rotella T6, seems to hold up well in the hot weather. There is also Mobil 1 10w-40 synthetic, which performs much better than their 5w-30 in UOAs.

I will try that, what's the chances of blowing the engine for using a thicker oil?

I'm also concern about the thick oil going through the turbo, I wonder is such viscosity could cause leaks and performance concerns.

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't understand what that statement means. The viscosity works fine in our cars.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Mobil 1 5w-30 is already pretty thin.. after about 1000 miles it's down to 5w-10 and doesn't lubricate near as well. A 5w-40 or 10w-40 will coat things better, provide better lubrication, maintain higher pressure, and be less prone to shear.. I would say the chances of blowing an engine are a good deal less when running a thicker oil, especially with all the engine failures already linked to Mobil 1 5w-30.

Also, if it's thicker it is LESS likely to leak.. hence the recommendation. If you're pushing oil past your rings then a thicker oil should at least help alleviate some of the consumption you're seeing.

Alright, I will upgrade to a thicker grade.

Oh, im not a car guru and just concern of having engine issues that thicker might cause.

I Support ClubWRX
    Where was the level when you first changed it?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast