Wheel bearings
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Wheel bearings within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have an 03 WRX that needs a new wheel bearing. I know they are a pressed bearing. Is there ...

Wheel bearings

I have an 03 WRX that needs a new wheel bearing. I know they are a pressed bearing. Is there any easy way I could change this at home with normal house house tools?? I have gotten quotes anywhere from $300-$500, and not really wanting to pay that if its possible I could change it myself.

Any advise will help. Thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I feel like I remember someone on here recently doing this job at home. IIRC they had to fabricate a special tool.
    - Will
    First Mods: What to do and what not to do
    Current Car: 2014 Golf TDI
    Previous Cars:2012 WRB WRX Hatch, 2004 RSX-S, 1998 Grand Prix GTP
    "Isn't it amazing how smart you feel when you just aren't being stupid?"

Bingo. Subaru Wheel Bearing How-To / FAQ | RSM Innovation Not what I was thinking of but anyways, there it is. Obviously it's not the same car but gives you an idea of what you'd be in for.

For the record, my memory was wrong. Sad Panda. I was thinking of 06wrx4me's ball joint removal thread.
    Last edited by Calvinball; 08-16-2013 at 09:50 AM.
    - Will

Thanks a bunch!!! Will surely use this tomorrow when in changing it

No problem, good luck!
    - Will

I Support ClubWRX
    Big thing to remember is the 2 inner seals go in backwards. You will find out you forgot this when the CV axle won't go back in
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Is it possible to take the housing off with the bearing still inside. And my repair manual says I need to take out the rear axel .... Is this true ??

By housing do you mean the upright? If so then yes, you can remove it with the bearing inside. The axle is inside the bearing so it at least has to come out of the upright so you can use your bearing puller. You can leave the diff end if you want.

Some people remove the uprights and take them to a shop to have the bearing pressed in. I've seen $60-80 to do a pair but I'm sure prices vary.

If that's the part that keeps the bearing in place, then yes. So I can just take the upright off and not touching the axel?? If I can then it would really be some great news to hear. I'm on an extremely tight time crunch for the next few days

The upright is the heavy cast iron part that the bearing is pressed into. You will have to remove the axle nut, the trailing arm, and likely at least 2 of the lateral links in order to pull the axle out of the hub. The end of the axle that goes into the rear diff can stay in the rear diff.

No matter how you do it, at the wheel end the axle nut has to come off and the axle has to come out of the hub.

That's what I thought and wanted to hear. Thanks a lot. Thanks to everyone who helped out. It's more than appreciated

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.