Catted downpipe issues
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on Catted downpipe issues within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I just installed an Invidia catted downpipe a few days back. On initial start-up there was some smoke and a ...

Catted downpipe issues

I just installed an Invidia catted downpipe a few days back. On initial start-up there was some smoke and a terrible smell (which I think was the WD-40). I am not currently running a heatshield becuase the stock one wouldn't fit, but I ordered a turbo blanket and it should be here any day now. for the last few days the car has smelled pretty bad, but slowly getting better. Just today when I got back from work (3 days since install) I went to go do a slight boost, 80% throttle at 3k (with my stage 2 eco tune + SF). At 80% throttle I could hear the air (intake), but there was no extra power. It felt like a hose was not connected and air was just shooting out of it doing nothing. I checked the hoses and everything seems fine. What do you guys recommend I do? By the way on start-up there is also a gasoline like smell (Different from the first smells I was having which smelled like plastic burning).
    - 2011 WRB WRX Premium Hatch

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    TMIC/TB coupler

Common for having an issue with boost
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Ok. So should I remove my TMIC and re fasten everything? Also is that gasoline smell normal?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by briancox33
    Ok. So should I remove my TMIC and re fasten everything? Also is that gasoline smell normal?
    See if that looks like your potential leak spot before doing anything with the TMIC.

You'll smell fumes more with an aftermarket downpipe than with stock.

UNYSOC

Ok. There was a hose that was not fastened and it clearly was the issue and I did a couple very quick WOT at 3k - 4.5k and was hitting 9PSI on my stage2 + SF eco tune. The car seems to run great and sounds like it should. The terrible plastic burning smell has gone away but there is still a slight gasoline like smell. On start-up it is the worst (cold start), but when driving you can't smell it at all. Then when you get to a stop, there is a slight smell of it, but not bad like on start-up. Is this normal for a catted downpipe?

Did you retune after the downpipe install? 9psi seems a little low to me but I don't know your car. I mean you might have a wastegate issue or a boost leak coming from somewhere. When you checked your hoses, did you make sure none of them were cracked or showing significant wear?

So why kind of tune you running OP? If in 3rd and doing WOT till 4-5k I'd say you should be higher than 9psi. But do some full WOT till redline pulls in 3/4 gears. That's where you'd see full boost levels.
    Last edited by the RIOT act; 08-14-2013 at 11:40 AM.
    Brandon - 13' SWP WRX Sedan

Quote Originally Posted by briancox33 View Post
    Ok. There was a hose that was not fastened and it clearly was the issue and I did a couple very quick WOT at 3k - 4.5k and was hitting 9PSI on my stage2 + SF eco tune. The car seems to run great and sounds like it should. The terrible plastic burning smell has gone away but there is still a slight gasoline like smell. On start-up it is the worst (cold start), but when driving you can't smell it at all. Then when you get to a stop, there is a slight smell of it, but not bad like on start-up. Is this normal for a catted downpipe?
    Yep, that's normal.

And as for low boost...3k-4.5k isn't really enough to get to full load, also depending on which gear he was in when he did those small pulls. Very possible he wouldn't see target boost until he does a full 2.5k-6.5k pull in 3rd or 4th gear.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    You're running wastegate pressure. I would look at the BCS lines, the BCS itself, or the wastegate arm.

UNYSOC

Your exhaust should def NOT smell like that man. I have a catted Invidia pipe myself and smell absolutely nothing at start up...or ever.

Need to fill us in about your tune OP?.?.

I Support ClubWRX
    An aftermarket downpipe will cause you to smell additional fuel compared to stock.

UNYSOC

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    An aftermarket downpipe will cause you to smell additional fuel compared to stock.
    +1 on this comment. My car smells a lot more like you are describing after I installed my full turboback exhaust. Think about it this way...Your exhaust is less restrictive now right? So it is not filtering out the exhaust like it was before = stinky. It's why you have difficulty passing emissions inspections in a lot of states.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by the RIOT act View Post
    Your exhaust should def NOT smell like that man. I have a catted Invidia pipe myself and smell absolutely nothing at start up...or ever.

Need to fill us in about your tune OP?.?.
    Looks like he mentioned he is running some type of "eco" map...Aka, tuned down for more economical means, AKA, less power to try and achieve better gas mileage.

So that's an "open source" Protune of sorts? Or is that a map applied with an AP? Can't say I've ever met someone with one... Doesn't make sense to me to pay for any type of tune at $450+ and not be getting your money's worth lol! You can push good power and still be getting better than stock gas mileage. You wanna save gas then buy a Prius

I'm personally OS Protuned stage2 from BrenTuning and also running an Invidia catted DP and have absolutely no smell, even when I'm doing Mountain Runs with constant WOT pulls for hours. Every car/tune is different though I suppose. Glad mine doesn't smell.

But if you're running a cat on your DP passing emissions should never be a problem, even though "hi-flow". If it is it's time to speak with your tuner lol!
    Last edited by the RIOT act; 08-14-2013 at 02:00 PM.

Sorry I briefly mentioned this but I will be more clear. The current map on my car is Cobb's OTS Stage 2 ECO + SF map. The target boost is 8 - 12 PSI so 9 seemed perfect to me. I did this because there is no heat shield / blanket on the car right now. When my turbo blanket comes in I am going to change it to Cobb's OTS Stage 2 + SF 91 map. The car just smells pretty bad on start-up and coming to stops.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast