Oil Level

This is a discussion on Oil Level within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have a 2013 WRX with 3000 miles on the original factory oil. I plan on getting my first oil ...

Oil Level

I have a 2013 WRX with 3000 miles on the original factory oil. I plan on getting my first oil change this Friday and was curious as to what the oil look like and where the level was. It was about an 1/8" above the full hole on the dip stick (right at the bottom of the twist on the dip stick above the full hole). Now i'm kind of worried there was too much oil and hoping it didn't do any damage. Too much oil is just as bad if not worse then no oil, right?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

..and yes car was on a level surface and had been off for about 5 hours. I wiped the dip stick clean then dipped it for the reading.

I Support ClubWRX
    [QUOTE=cmayba;3036498Too much oil is just as bad if not worse then no oil, right?[/QUOTE]

No. Low oil is worse than high oil.

You should be checking the oil level routinely though.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Make sure the dipstick is oriented the right way. I was told for my 06 sti that the dipstick enters the oil at an angle so one side will be higher than the other. I don't believe that has changed.

Also, many report that, due to the o ring on the top of the dipstick, when they push the dip stick down the seal from the o ring causes a pressure increase that forces the oil higher up the dipstick than what it is supposed to be measuring. Perhaps you are experiencing this? One way to find out is to remove the o ring and check again and compare readings...then let us know!

Quote Originally Posted by wrx frog View Post
    Make sure the dipstick is oriented the right way. I was told for my 06 sti that the dipstick enters the oil at an angle so one side will be higher than the other. I don't believe that has changed.
    I believe this is true...there is a significant bend in the dipstick tube as it does into the pan and this creates the "high on one side, lower on the other" oil readings...now if we only knew which side of the dipstick we are to believe...

Quote Originally Posted by garzdos View Post
    I believe this is true...there is a significant bend in the dipstick tube as it does into the pan and this creates the "high on one side, lower on the other" oil readings...now if we only knew which side of the dipstick we are to believe...
    I thought I was crazy...I dipped mine over and over wondering why in the heck one side was higher than the other! And I wasnt sure which to believe lol

I Support ClubWRX
    The low side. Worst case scenario (or as Ricky said, "Worst case Ontario").
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.