High-pitched turbo whine on my 2012

This is a discussion on High-pitched turbo whine on my 2012 within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I recently got a 2012 WRX with 17K miles on it. It drove perfectly for a couple of weeks, but ...

High-pitched turbo whine on my 2012

I recently got a 2012 WRX with 17K miles on it. It drove perfectly for a couple of weeks, but now I am experiencing a high-pitched whine when I accelerate and push the rpm's past 4000. It happens in any gear and goes away when I reach a steady speed.

I posted a short video on youTube:

WRX turbo whine - YouTube

If you can't tell from the video, it sounds like a whistle. From my research on the net I suspect it may be a turbo leak. I'm not very mechanically inclined when it comes to vehicles, but my cursory review of the engine compartment, turbo, etc, didn't reveal anything loose or damaged. It actually looks pretty pristine under the hood.

I bought it from CarMax, but I thought I might have better luck with a turbo issue with the stealer, especially since I would imagine it's covered by the Subaru engine warranty. I'm kinda surprised to have an issue like this with such low mileage. Any thoughts or experience with this?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    That sounds like just normal turbo spool, from your description.

Your car still has a warranty. Take it to the dealer if you are concerned. They can take a ride in it and tell ya what's up.
    Quote Originally Posted by Trainrex
    He was throwing balloons filled with sulfuric acid and shrapnel at the swat team. They finally had to take him down with rubber bullets.
    2011 STi Build Log
    -Part 1 - Reading, Data Logging, and Analyzing Data
    -Part 2 - Turbocharger 101 & Basic Boost Control
    -Part 3 - EcuFlash, Experimental Defintions, and a Drive By Wire Intro

From what I heard on your video that's definitely the turbo spooling! But in most stock wrx u shouldn't be hearing that noise that loud, unless u have an aftermarket intake.

Sounds exactly like what I had. The issue was the intercooler boot came loose because it was not properly installed at the factory. There was a TSB posted and the dealer covered the fix under warranty

Boost Leak? 2012 WRX

The audio on that clip isn't the best--hard to record, but noticeable especially with the windows down. Sounds like the world's biggest mosquito. I'm guessing it's the intercooler leak you referenced above.

I have also driven the car for a month prior to this, for ~1500 miles, and the sound definitely was not there when I bought it. In fact if I had heard it when I test drove the car I would not have bought it and would have sworn off turbos forever. ;-)

Surprisingly, having owned about 15-18 cars in my life I have never had a car with a turbo til now. Hopefully it'll be a quick fix!

I just picked up a 2012 WRX myself a couple weeks ago...and it certainly has a much louder transmission/drivetrain than even my last 2005 STI. It sounds very similar though. I get the same "whine" from the diffs all working together, but I do hear the faint whistle as well. You might have a small boost leak which is a very common thing around the TMIC coupler. Check that out...or take it to the dealer under warranty to have them check it out.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

I just got the car back from the Stealer today - it was the intercooler boot that was leaking air pressure. Parts were reinstalled and tightened, and the problem is solved.

Kudos to Olsen Subaru in Omaha - very pleasant to deal with, service completely covered under warranty. Interestingly, the old guy who gave me a ride back home after I dropped the car off said he was an old school friend of Warren Buffett's and that he sold Warren's daughter Susie her first car...

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Jeff View Post
    I just got the car back from the Stealer today - it was the intercooler boot that was leaking air pressure. Parts were reinstalled and tightened, and the problem is solved.

Kudos to Olsen Subaru in Omaha - very pleasant to deal with, service completely covered under warranty. Interestingly, the old guy who gave me a ride back home after I dropped the car off said he was an old school friend of Warren Buffett's and that he sold Warren's daughter Susie her first car...
    Did they pinpoint or show you exactly where the problem was?