2004 WRX STI troubleshooting (misfire and general mayhem)

This is a discussion on 2004 WRX STI troubleshooting (misfire and general mayhem) within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I want to get this clear right away - this is not my car. It is (ready for this?) my ...

Question 2004 WRX STI troubleshooting (misfire and general mayhem)

I want to get this clear right away - this is not my car. It is (ready for this?) my best friend's girlfriend's son's car. Yes, read that again. The mother, the son and my friend know even less than I do about these cars so I'm coming to a forum where I hope I can get a nudge in the right direction and get this care SAFE for this teenager.

Got a call Sunday morning that the car won't stay running. Got CEL and they cleared them. Friend turned up the idle to keep the idle running but complains that the car is idling at first start up at 2k rpm. Not surprised. If stopped at a light and no gas applied, the engine dies.

Car was purchased in southern Wisconsin (hint #1) and driven to Omaha, NE. Drove fine the whole way back, only started acting up after fueling locally. (Hint #2)

Popped the hood and here is what I, with very little knowledge can see - upgraded turbo (Garret), TiAl recirculating bov, upgraded pulleys (all three?), K&N intake and upgraded piping all around. Exhaust looks stock. Can't be sure on down or up. Cobb AP version 1 I think, sitting in the glove box. Cobb shows 17lb of boost. They have zero records of any work, no receipts, no idea who tuned if it wasn't a downloaded tune, etc. Clutch is not stock I don't think. You can leave in first in the first inch from the floor and can shift between the rest of the gears with just a flick of clutch. Short throw shifter that feels fantastic.

I guessed that they may have filled it with 93 in WI and we just don't have a lot of stations with that so I pulled 2* of timing out of it. Took out the bump he added in idle. Looked (i'm not expert) for leaks or something that looks amiss. After starting and letting it warm up, took it out for a brief drive. It drove fine all day Sunday.

Monday morning, they called and said it CELd and got them to give codes - misfire on all four. They reset the tune, which cleared the CEL as well as the pull in timing. Won't stay running. Had them pull back 2* again and it seems to be running fine.

My STRONG recommendation was to get it to a tuner, have them pop the hood, look at what is in the AP and set them up with a solid 91 tune that can be used around here. Am I leading them down the right road? If I am, where in the world does one take this car in or near the Omaha, NE for a good tune? I know this is probably a mix of too little and too much info, so my apologies. I told them I wanted to start at the beginning and do a complete once over - check plugs, wires, maf, oil, etc. They don't really know what they've bought and I want this car to be as safe as something like this can be for a kid just getting his license.

On a personal side note, after driving this car I realized - I gotta get me one of these....

Thanks in advance.
    Last edited by Baptyzmbyf1re; 08-09-2013 at 05:58 PM.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    With those mods on the car my hunch would be that it wasn't an off the shelf map that was on the car, as there is no COBB maps designed to work with those modifications. He probably had the car pro-tuned and loaded using the AP. If you go to the cobb website you can get the Access tuner race software and then plug the AP into a laptop and using the AP tuner race software you can see what the map is (using Access tuner race software). Also, you should have him read up on the notes on how to perform data logging and do a few datalogs (and then load them to "access manager" software - again from cobb) and post them up here and there are some resident tuners that can take a look at the logs. I agree that getting the car into a knowledgeable tuner would be a good idea. If the car is tuned to run on 93 then running it on 91 will certainly give you some knock. I would suggest that he not put the car under heavy loads (or even drive it much for that matter) until you can get someone to take a look (unless he wants the engine to blow).

Excellent. will do some research on the COBB software and get the tune downloaded. I should be looking at the car again on Sunday and can get the needed info.

When doing the logging, do I need to do any specific type of events? I.E. just hooking it up and running the car in the driveway or doing some specific type of driving? I've voiced that he needs to probably not be doing WO pulls until we have a grip on what is going on. But, I can only suggest. Up to them to listen

Thanks!

I Support ClubWRX
    Last edited by 11blackSTi; 08-09-2013 at 07:41 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    ^

bookmarked for future reference, thanks!

and may I add, a teenager with a modded STi.
    -Stephanie 2004 WRB WRX | Blobeye Syndicate Member #104
    "I can't see the Shoopster from here; I'll wait for you outside."
    Shoopsterbuild 2.1: Better than it was before. Better, stronger, faster. Now with premium 'menu' option!