lean code in aftermarket part
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on lean code in aftermarket part within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Well i went in for an oil change a few days ago and while I was there I had them ...

lean code in aftermarket part

Well i went in for an oil change a few days ago and while I was there I had them pull off my check engine code, which they told me was a lean code in an aftermarket part. They said trying to find this could take countless hours and they may never find it. What do you guys recommend I do? btw this is an 03 wrx, and as far as mods go, I have a k&n typhoon intake and a greddy BOV.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

They can't tell the code was from an aftermarket part just from the lean condition code. That being said its almost certainly your intake unless u are tuned for it. Lean in a wrx is bad bad bad. Get a tune or get a stock airbox. Or risk your cylinder walls (3&4).

Another thing is your bov. If you read the newbie stickies, you have the two worst first mods (sry!). Hopefully the bov is in full recirc mode. If its venting to atmosphere it can cause a rich condition because you are blowing off pre-metered air; Wonder if it could help offset your intakes causing of a lean condition lol. Tuners chime in!
    Last edited by Miggs; 08-09-2013 at 12:54 PM.

I Support ClubWRX
    What was the DTC (P####)?
    2005 WRX STi (Mods | Virtual Dyno)

Resident Tuner @ WTF Tuning, LLC

"Never trust anything that bleeds for a week and lives ..."

UNYSOC

Quote Originally Posted by Miggs View Post
    They can't tell the code was from an aftermarket part just from the lean condition code. That being said its almost certainly your intake unless u are tuned for it. Lean in a wrx is bad bad bad. Get a tune or get a stock airbox. Or risk your cylinder walls (3&4).

Another thing is your bov. If you read the newbie stickies, you have the two worst first mods (sry!). Hopefully the bov is in full recirc mode. If its venting to atmosphere it can cause a rich condition because you are blowing off pre-metered air; Wonder if it could help offset your intakes causing of a lean condition lol. Tuners chime in!
    no I'm not tuned for it.
    I bought this car around 8 months ago, and this issue just recently came up a few weeks ago
    So you're pretty certain a tune is the answer?

Quote Originally Posted by EJ257 View Post
    What was the DTC (P####)?
    They did not tell me, And I didn't ask(shame). Also the paperwork they gave me does not say either

Quote Originally Posted by pwnster View Post
    They did not tell me, And I didn't ask(shame). Also the paperwork they gave me does not say either
    Did they charge u for a diagnostic? Or was it a free scan at autozone?

Did they charge u for a diagnostic? Or was it a free scan at autozone?
    It was a free scan from my dealer(Parker Subaru)

no I'm not tuned for it.
    I bought this car around 8 months ago, and this issue just recently came up a few weeks ago
    So you're pretty certain a tune is the answer?
    I wouldn't rush and get a tune, no. But if you could get your hands on a stock intake box that would be beneficial. Wait to get a tune until you are a little further along. They aren't cheap.

It was a free scan from my dealer(Parker Subaru)
    If you have the chance to swing by a parts store or the dealership, see if you can get another scan. Then let us know. EJ257 is a tuner and can give you some insight. But he can't help you without the info.

If you have the chance to swing by a parts store or the dealership, see if you can get another scan. Then let us know. EJ257 is a tuner and can give you some insight. But he can't help you without the info.
    Thanks much for all of your help, I will swing by either today or tomorrow and pick up that code!

Thanks much for all of your help, I will swing by either today or tomorrow and pick up that code!
    You got it man

In the meantime, 03 WRXs can run intakes generally without a problem unless it changes MAF dynamics. K&N Typhoon intake is on the cusp of being one of those.

I'd look for a stock airbox and certainly a stock BPV to replace the BOV. It's just not necessary.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    In the meantime, 03 WRXs can run intakes generally without a problem unless it changes MAF dynamics. K&N Typhoon intake is on the cusp of being one of those.

I'd look for a stock airbox and certainly a stock BPV to replace the BOV. It's just not necessary.
    +1 imo, it could at least aid the lean condition. You could also just have a sensor problem. Try cleaning your MAF.

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post

What are the cons of having a BOV? I bought the car with it already on, so I don't know much about them(nooby me).

+1 imo, it could at least aid the lean condition. You could also just have a sensor problem. Try cleaning your MAF.
    Will do that tonight

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast