Anyone know what this noise is?

This is a discussion on Anyone know what this noise is? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; When the key is turned on and off there is a noise that sounds a bit like a growl (not ...

Anyone know what this noise is?

When the key is turned on and off there is a noise that sounds a bit like a growl (not sure how else to describe). When turning the key on you can hear it just as the gauge cluster lights turn on. Anyone know what this is?

Turn up volume, most noticeable at 14-15 seconds.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Fuel? Maybe flux capacitor.

I can't play the sound clip since I'm at work, but from what you describe it sounds like it is just the fuel pump kicking on. Nothing to worry about.
    **Stink-Eye Mob Member #96**

2013 Rex Hatch Rally Blue
    Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

Sorry, can't make it out over the beeping...
    But your description sounds like it's the fuel pump starting up and building pressure, that is normal. Once started you'll hear a couple more noises, secondary air pump, A/C compressor, maybe brake system cycling thru self test...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

Pull the fuse for your fuel pump. Turn to accessory position. If sound goes away, it was pump.

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I never really noticed it till today but that would make sense.

I Support ClubWRX
    Wait till it gets cold. You'll hear this horrendous sound of the steering pump. These cars are anything but quiet. My wife says ours cars sound like tractors when we start up.
    T0ny
    2011 WRX
    2012 FXT

The Big 2011/2012 Mod Thread

Ooh,hang on. That is the throb of a turbocharged flat four engine. A sound which,all over the world,heralds the imminent arrival of a moron - JC.

Quote Originally Posted by Miggs View Post
    Fuel? Maybe flux capacitor.
    1.21 Gigawatts!!!
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    1.21 Gigawatts!!!
    **Stink-Eye Mob Member #96**

2013 Rex Hatch Rally Blue
    Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    Wait till it gets cold. You'll hear this horrendous sound of the steering pump. These cars are anything but quiet. My wife says ours cars sound like tractors when we start up.
    Yeah, our cars make a lot of different noise. I've actually started to like them

My car starting this past winter in -2į

As for yours, I've heard that one too. And my guess it's the fuel pump.

Quote Originally Posted by rage-wrx View Post
    ROFL! My neighbor said the same thing.