Cel and cluster issue
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Cel and cluster issue within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Ok so I've been having a problem off and on for around a year now. First symptom I notice is ...

Cel and cluster issue

Ok so I've been having a problem off and on for around a year now. First symptom I notice is that the Speedometer will start to bounce when idle or driving. Next the gas gauge will start to decline and the temp gauge will go up. Then I will get a misfire on all 4 cylinders. When this first occurred I assumed it was a power issue and had Autozone test the battery which showed bad. Replaced the battery and the issue stopped for a while. Next thought was to replace the alternator. It's now been replaced and the issue is still occurring and seems to be becoming worse. I cleaned terminal connections and grounds using a steel brush. A side issue that just came to my attention is that the Boost Control Solenoid has stopped working. Not sure how long I've had this issue or if its related to the problem. I'm going to have the alternator tested since I did purchase a re manufactured one to see if it might be defective. I also get a squeak during warm up that is coming from around the alternator. Belts are just over a year old and don't have any signs of cracking or wear. Thoughts? Car is stock with K&N Typhoon intake. Car has had a tune in between the issue occurring. Flashed back to stock and issues were still present. Currently on tuned map.
    Stephen
    http://forums.nasioc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=533787 <--- Good Info
    2002 Impreza WRX "BugEye"

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Check main connection to ECU. Suspect loose harness.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Check main connection to ECU. Suspect loose harness.
    Checked connection at the ECU and reseated plugs. Issue still exists.
    Stephen

I Support ClubWRX
    Check the connections to the instrument cluster; there should be three harness plugs behind the gauges themselves. Make sure there is nothing in the OBDII female port under the dash, and make sure the test connectors are disconnected.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Everything there checks out. Also checked connections to both fuse boxes. Everything is in order there.
    Stephen

Problem solved. Weak terminal. Replaced and problem ended.
    Stephen

I Support ClubWRX
    Wow great news, good.

I couldn't tell from just looking at it or moving around. I decided to take my amp cable off to see if that was affecting it and I noticed the bolt was loose and had corrosion on it. Couldn't see any of that without taking all of the cables off. Glad to have it fixed. Now I just have to order a new EBCS
    Stephen

Also had two grounds loose on the top of the engine. Tightened them down and issue was gone.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Stephen

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.