Brown coolant, what could it be?!?!?!

This is a discussion on Brown coolant, what could it be?!?!?! within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have an 07 wrx with 98k miles, mods: 16g turbo external wastegate sti inter cooler 750cc injectors 300 fuel ...

Brown coolant, what could it be?!?!?!

I have an 07 wrx with 98k miles, mods:
    16g turbo
    external wastegate
    sti inter cooler
    750cc injectors
    300 fuel pump
    and an sti trans
    i think that is all.

I noticed my coolant is chocolate brown. Before I diagnose it as my worst nightmare, a blown head gasket, what else could cause this to happen?

I only ask because there is no coolant in my oil, both oil and coolant levels remain constant, the motor does not overheat and no smoke. The only symptoms are the brown coolant and my turbo for some reason sounds a lot louder, like the wooshing and whistling comes about at way lower RPMS than the usual.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Either the result of combustion fluids contaminating the coolant, exhaust fluids contaminating the coolant, or simply corrosion. When did you last replace the coolant?
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I dont remember, supposedly my mechanic could have not too long ago but it is a possibility he could have used my same coolant. When he did that my coolant would always over flow in the resorvoir tank until i burped the system. I am worried trapped air got in there causing rust.

I Support ClubWRX
    If you don't think there's a gasket problem, change the coolant and burp the system ad nauseam. I've switched to the newer, prediluted, Subaru blue "super" coolant. Yours may have already come with that variety. Also get the coolant conditioner from the dealer.
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

It could possibly be, I just do not want it to be. The only symptom is the color but Ill try that, I have a whole new bottle of coolant but I need to get conditioner

Okay so I took a closer look its still very watery but after that I realized its rust. My coolant system has rust which isn't good and I'm hoping it could just be the radiator.

I Support ClubWRX
    Drain the system fully, including the heater element, and get all the rusty stuff out. Once you are getting clear water, drain it again and this time fill entirely with the premixed blue super Subaru coolant stuff. I'd have two gallons on hand (ignoring how vile and tasteless "gallons" and all non-metric measurement units are). If you don't use the pre-mixed and have to add water to undiluted coolant, use distilled water.

Since there's been corrosion in the system, check all the hoses for leaks and by feel. Go from there.