Metal rubbing sound when turning
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Metal rubbing sound when turning within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I have noticed the last few days that when I turn the wheel, about halfway, say to turn into a ...

Blah blah blah something about penguins CowboyD Eng6ine's Avatar

Metal rubbing sound when turning

I have noticed the last few days that when I turn the wheel, about halfway, say to turn into a parking lot or parking garage, I hear a metal rubbing kind of sound when the wheel are turning. If I sit still and turn the wheel, I don't hear it. I got my '13 back in the spring so I am wondering what it could be. Going to take it in to the shop to get looked at on Wednesday when I have time off.

Has anyone else had this issue with turning while moving and hearing a loose metal rubbing sound?

Blah blah blah something about penguins blah blah blah
    Crazy is running towards what people are running from.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

You know, I just experienced a similar thing while doing a u-turn in a gas station last night on my '13. It freaked me out, but when I tried to reproduce the sound, it didn't happen. Left me very confused. Any ideas?
    **Stink-Eye Mob Member #96**

2013 Rex Hatch Rally Blue
    Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang

It's been pretty consistent with turning for the past few days. Last week on my way in for service I managed to get a rock that bounced up and got stuck between my rotor and backing plate with sounded like it was stuck in my exhaust. They said they took care of that and didn't hear anything.

I Support ClubWRX
    Been doing any "offroading"?

A torn CV boot will leak grease, causing the joint to bind up and generate a metal grinding sound when turning. That said, a torn CV boot on a new car would be very rare. Most of the time they crack due to age, but if you hit something, anything is possible...
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.3810-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I baby the crap out of it, I don't even think it has seen dirt or grass. If someone did break, it would be covered under warranty considering the car is a few months old?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyD Eng6ine View Post
    I baby the crap out of it, I don't even think it has seen dirt or grass. If someone did break, it would be covered under warranty considering the car is a few months old?
    If you've babied the car, that's likely not the issue then. Just take it into the dealer to get checked out.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

I Support ClubWRX
    I agree with it possibly being a bad/defective CV joint. It happens.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Catastrophic failure if it doesn't get fixed for two more days? How long would it take to fix?

I Support ClubWRX
    Sure it can be catastrophic, but I have also driven on bad CV joints for 6mo-1yr. Takes me about an hour to swap a CV joint. A shop should be able to do it in about 1/2 hr.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Just drove around the corner with the windows down and going straight I still here it, about the same as when I turn. Staying in 2nd gear I still hear it as a consistent metal spinning on metal sound, not a clicking sound.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by CowboyD Eng6ine View Post
    Just drove around the corner with the windows down and going straight I still here it, about the same as when I turn. Staying in 2nd gear I still hear it as a consistent metal spinning on metal sound, not a clicking sound.
    Do you have an appointment with the dealer yet? In the meantime, take a peek under the car and look for signs of grease in the area you hear the sound the most.

From your description, it really sounds like a bad CV joint that is approaching total failure. As Donkey said, a torn boot is an easy fix for a dealer, and would be covered under a normal powertrain warranty. If you're hearing the noise more than before, and at more shallow turns, I would avoid driving if you can help it, and avoid full lock turns period. Do you hear anything driving straight?
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon

Yeah I hear it when going straight, sound in relation to speed/wheel rotation. Look under and around car with no signs of anything leaking or low hanging. If I sit still and turn the wheel I don't hear anything, only when I'm driving.

I work for 24 hours tomorrow so I will schedule an appointment for first thing Tuesday morning when I get off.

Any possibility of a rock getting caught in the dust shield? About a week ago I had the noise of a rock in the exhaust but it turned out a rock got itself between the rotor and back plate. I haven't had the windows down since then due to either high heat or rain.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.