2002 Wrx maintenance question
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

This is a discussion on 2002 Wrx maintenance question within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Aside from an oil change, a new pan, shift linkage, as well as radaitor flush, i haven't done much to ...

2002 Wrx maintenance question

Aside from an oil change, a new pan, shift linkage, as well as radaitor flush, i haven't done much to my car. Before modding it i want to make sure everything is mechanically sound. The car has 130,000 k miles on it and i do not believe it has had its 105k service. I want to make sure everything is going to be reliable, should i just go ahead and do the 105k service (Water pump, timing belt, ect..) or should i just save up the money and get the engine overhauled I know this is more expensive but i want to make sure its running at peak performance before i do anything crazy to it. Any help would be appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    A new timing belt and water pump will be part of a careful overhaul anyway. Since it's an interference motor it is essential you do the 105K service. I did the timing belt, water pump, thermostat, tensioner, all rollers, coolant, four cam seals, and the crank seal.

If you want to know whether your motor needs an overhaul, start with a compression test.

If you want to know whether to modify the motor, my answer is "no."
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

Subscribed for future updates.
    Currently have the same year and same mileage. From what I've read around the forum you should get that 105k job done.

I Support ClubWRX
    If there is no reason to believe the motor needs an overhaul, do the timing belt service. If you suspect a problem with the motor, find out whether you're right or not. The rest will answer itself. In any case a properly maintained motor should not need anything beyond the scheduled maintenance at 130K. I don't know why the OP mentioned an overhaul.
    Man is a brute.... If you're cruel to him, he respects and fears you. If you're kind to him, he plucks your eyes out. Alexis Zorbas
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

105k service it is. Thanks for all the helpful answers. Best forum i've been to so far!

regarding the timing belt and water pump service, is there a particular brand that you guys would recommend over the others? in my searches i've come across several different brands, at different prices and they seem to include the same components.

any advice would be greatly appreciated, i'm ready to order my stuff so i can get this baby on the road!!

I Support ClubWRX
    In my car I've used parts bought from a Subaru dealer, or made by Gates.

Quote Originally Posted by EddayW View Post
    ...car has 130,000 k miles on it and i do not believe it has had its 105k service...
    That service need to be done first. If that belt goes the engine is toast. BTW, congrats to this engine still running, 130 million miles is SOMETHING!
    Last edited by Ingo; 01-02-2014 at 02:10 PM.
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?

I Support ClubWRX

thanks, SD_GR.

exactly what i needed to know!

what about half shafts? the HKS downpipe has melted the passenger side axle boot and i'm gonna go ahead and replace both sides while i'm in there doing the suspension.

any recommendations on a good half shaft manufacturer?

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by schufflerbot View Post
    what about half shafts? the HKS downpipe has melted the passenger side axle boot and i'm gonna go ahead and replace both sides while i'm in there doing the suspension.

any recommendations on a good half shaft manufacturer?
    There are two. One is Subaru. The other is someone on the west coast, whom I believe Mycologist and others have used successfully. Have a search, I could swear there's a thread out there with their contact info. The other possibility is to buy authentic parts (EXCEPT for the grease; do not buy Subaru grease) and replace the boot and clamps.

I Support ClubWRX
    If you plan on keeping the car for the next few years, you may want to do the clutch while the car is in the shop. If its not on it's last legs already, modding the car for more power will probably do it in shortly.
    -Clayton, Your official CLUBWRX Subaru Dealer!
    CLUBWRX New car buying program SAVE HUGE on new Subarus:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...ubwrx-net.html
    Ask a Subaru Dealer thread:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/car-pu...ru-dealer.html
    FREE 3rd party vehicle inspections:
    http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/tri-st...spections.html

I Support ClubWRX
    I don't like doing those, they're not as much fun as it sounds. I therefore tend to just wait and see.

what do you guys think about this one?

is it overkill?

Gates TCKWP328ARB Racing Timing Belt Water Pump Kit Subaru 2002 WRX 2 0L | eBay

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.