Creaking near the transmission when accelerating
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on Creaking near the transmission when accelerating within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I've started noticing a groan/creak/croak around the area of the transmission whenever I accelerate from low speed on my '13 ...

Creaking near the transmission when accelerating

I've started noticing a groan/creak/croak around the area of the transmission whenever I accelerate from low speed on my '13 WRX. My car already has it's fair share of squeaks, but this is not as high pitched and sounds a little more serious; like metal on metal rubbing or something bending that shouldn't be. Can anyone give me some pointers on where to look to root out the problem?

It doesn't seem suspension related, since general bumps don't make it happen. I can reproduce pretty easily if I blip the throttle in first gear and make the car jerk forward a bit, but in general it happens most of the time that I accelerate from a stop.

I'm no car expert, but it sounds like the motor or transmission mounts are under too much stress when I accelerate. Even if I'm not pushing it too hard.

Car is stock, except for cobb shifter bushings (front and rear). I did hit a decent sized speed bump too fast a few weeks back (couldn't see it), but haven't had other symptoms. Nothing looks obviously damaged around there.

Is this just the usual WRX groans and squeaks that everyone talks about or is this something fixable or worse, really broken?

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I would just take it to your dealership and have them check it out since you have a warranty.

Cobb shifter bushings. Get under there and lube them with some green waterproof grease. You will have to do it about once a year. My car does the same thing

Quote Originally Posted by wrx50 View Post
    Cobb shifter bushings. Get under there and lube them with some green waterproof grease. You will have to do it about once a year. My car does the same thing
    Thanks for the suggestion. Trip to the dealer is not convenient, so it would be great if it's something as easy as that.

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.