2009 wrx high pitch whine in 2nd 3rd and 4th gear around 4-5k rpms

This is a discussion on 2009 wrx high pitch whine in 2nd 3rd and 4th gear around 4-5k rpms within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I bought a 2009 Wrx back in may and about a month ago it started making really high pitch whine ...

2009 wrx high pitch whine in 2nd 3rd and 4th gear around 4-5k rpms

I bought a 2009 Wrx back in may and about a month ago it started making really high pitch whine in 2nd 3rd and 4th gear around 4-5k rpms. the sound doesn't happen in idle or 1st gear. as a side not i have perrin catback exhaust for it and nothign else

I'm thinking of taking into a auto shop but i'd like to know if it is a minor thing that i could change myself or not.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Where is the whine coming from? Engine bay, gearbox, etc. Is the whine quieter, but audible, at lower RPMs, or does it start suddenly around 4k RPM?

Quote Originally Posted by mcdbrendan View Post
    Where is the whine coming from? Engine bay, gearbox, etc. Is the whine quieter, but audible, at lower RPMs, or does it start suddenly around 4k RPM?
    I can't pin point it exactly but It sounds like somewhere behind or under the engine And there is no whine at lower Rpms it suddenly starts around 4k RMP

Tranny oil?

Quote Originally Posted by APEdestrian View Post
    I can't pin point it exactly but It sounds like somewhere behind or under the engine And there is no whine at lower Rpms it suddenly starts around 4k RMP
    Maybe you have low or need to change transmission oil. I had this happen to my Suubie and it made a odd noise such as you describe.

Mine whines and it is brand new lol. Sounds like a supercharger, always found it odd but assumed it was normal...
    **Stink-Eye Mob Member #96**

2013 Rex Hatch Rally Blue
    Crying over money spent on this car and my obsession with hi-fi/ audiophile goodies

"I would buy that car if I was the sort of person who looked at my sister and thought, mmmmmm." -Jeremy Clarkson, referencing the Ford Mustang