Need help with catalytic converter on Scion TC...any Scion experts here??

This is a discussion on Need help with catalytic converter on Scion TC...any Scion experts here?? within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; So the dealership wants to charge us 1000 dollars to change the catalytic converter on a Scion TC....anyone have any ...

Need help with catalytic converter on Scion TC...any Scion experts here??

So the dealership wants to charge us 1000 dollars to change the catalytic converter on a Scion TC....anyone have any experience with these cars?
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    2006 WRX 330whp. 300wtq. Slow.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Read the emissions section of the warranty. It is usually much longer than any other coverage.

Contact Scion. Since they were all made this century tell them it is disappointing that their emissions equipment failed in any way so soon. tell them the environment isnt expendable, so their equipment shouldn't be either. Ask if they care about emissions. Be diplomatic but deeply concerned.

Failing that go to an independent.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

We have an extended warranty but apparently it's not covered.

Looked up scions warranty its 8 years or 80k...we are over the 80k...

I am gonna have to call the extended warranty company and see why they denied the claim...
    Last edited by lytlec; 07-24-2013 at 10:04 AM.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Of course they didn't tell her which cat but since it says AFR sensor wouldn't that be the exhaust manifold? I wouldn't think it would be in the midpipe...
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

Find aftermarket exhaust...and install. Has to be cheaper, right?
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens donít wear hats" -Ying

Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    Find aftermarket exhaust...and install. Has to be cheaper, right?
    Haha yeah but then we still deal with the CEL...we just moved to a place that does emissions so we need to get it done on both of our cars and having a CEL isn't gonna let it pass....
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I Support ClubWRX
    The reason it is soo expensive, is because all OBD2 96+ cars are only EPA legal if the emissions equipment is OEM. After the law came into play, it was federally mandated that OEM's had to warranty the emissions equipment for a minimum of 8 years, so they wouldn't use it as a money making venture (design shoddy stuff).

If you live in a state that doesn't have stringent emissions testing like here in CA, then no big deal. But here in CA the only time an aftermarket CATCO style CAT is legal is if the car is a 1976-1995.

That being said, the law also stipulates that the original exhaust containing the CAT cannot be "repaired" i.e. cut out and a new one welded in. So cars that have CATS welded into manifolds, down pipes, etc, necessitate changing of the whole piece.

It sux, and is expensive. I say troll a junkyard, although here they aren't supposed to sell you CAT's.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Yeah, I've been searching for OEM Exhaust manifolds...having a hard time finding them.
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

...and why are the saying we need a new AFR sensor....I'm pretty sure that has its own code that should be showing up...
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by lytlec View Post
    ...and why are the saying we need a new AFR sensor....I'm pretty sure that has its own code that should be showing up...
    3 ideas:

1. It could be post CAT, and be damaged if the CAT eats itself, so they change it for good measure.
    2. It could be non-serviceable/non-removable (I have seen it)
    3. The dealer knows that they break when they try to take them off because the weld themselves on, so they just replace it as std practice.

I have seen all 3 philosophies employed successfully in industry.
    2014 Ford Fiesta ST

06 WRX, HAWKEYE # 001 <T-boned and sold>

COILOVER TABLE
    TURBO TABLE

Quote Originally Posted by 06wrx4me View Post
    3 ideas:

1. It could be post CAT, and be damaged if the CAT eats itself, so they change it for good measure.
    2. It could be non-serviceable/non-removable (I have seen it)
    3. The dealer knows that they break when they try to take them off because the weld themselves on, so they just replace it as std practice.

I have seen all 3 philosophies employed successfully in industry.
    Ah good point. Thanks for the knowledge! I am currently searching the internet for an OEM Manifold. I will just replace that and see what happens....stupid Scion....
    <-------- Taylor Swift.
    Hawk-Eye Alliance #137
    First Mods...what to do.
    Subaru Guide