Repair cost of boost gauge

This is a discussion on Repair cost of boost gauge within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Hello all, My name is Tae and I am a noob to Subaru. I am looking to buy an used ...

Repair cost of boost gauge

Hello all,

My name is Tae and I am a noob to Subaru.
    I am looking to buy an used 08+ STi hatch and have some questions on boost gauge repair.

I recently looked at a 08 STi hatch and seller mentioned that boost gauge doesn't work corretly and mentioned it has something to do with wires sticking together because of the engine temp.

Can anyone tell me how much it would cost to repair?

Thanks in advance.

Tae

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by n3o729 View Post
    Hello all,

My name is Tae and I am a noob to Subaru.
    I am looking to buy an used 08+ STi hatch and have some questions on boost gauge repair.

I recently looked at a 08 STi hatch and seller mentioned that boost gauge doesn't work corretly and mentioned it has something to do with wires sticking together because of the engine temp.

Can anyone tell me how much it would cost to repair?

Thanks in advance.

Tae
    What kind of boost gauge?

If it's something with the wiring, you could do that yourself for the cost of parts from any auto store or Radio Shack. $10 at most for wire, connectors, and shrink wrapping for protection.

On a scale of 1-10...anything with installing/wiring a boost gauge is a -4...its that easy.
    The Hawk-Eye Alliance #90|The Blobeye Syndicate #0|The Stink-Eye Mob #0|N.E.R.D. Founding Member & #3
    2012 Lightning Red WRX Sedan Stock...for now Soon to be OpenSource tuned by: Mattypants @ WTF Tuning
    "If I have 10 ice cubes and you have 11 giraffes, how many pancakes can fit on the roof? Purple, because aliens don’t wear hats" -Ying

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by Mikie13 View Post
    What kind of boost gauge?

If it's something with the wiring, you could do that yourself for the cost of parts from any auto store or Radio Shack. $10 at most for wire, connectors, and shrink wrapping for protection.

On a scale of 1-10...anything with installing/wiring a boost gauge is a -4...its that easy.
    Careful there, speedy. If the sender is damaged, there probably isn't a whole lot you can do, other than replace it. If the sender wiring melted, then yeah, it shouldn't be too hard to splice new wiring in, as long as you're handy with a soldering iron and heat shrink.

OP, you have a pic of the gauge and damage? If it were me, I'd just cut the existing wiring, splice in a Deutsch connector (it's like a weatherproof, heat-resistant Molex connector) and call it a day. We used those for our Formula car, and they held up great to automotive racing abuse. That way you can easily replace the sender later, if needed:
    Isaac -- 2003 WRX sedan Stg II - Gave its life for mine 6/2013.
    2007 Outback 3.0R wagon
    Proud owner of a N.E.R.D, Member 1.38×10-23

The pursuit of knowledge is hopeless and eternal... Hooray!!! - Professor Farnsworth

Thank you both for the fast reply!