Need Advice for rebuild/new

This is a discussion on Need Advice for rebuild/new within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; I am having big problems with my 06 WRX. I am 99% sure I will need to pull the motor. ...

Need Advice for rebuild/new

I am having big problems with my 06 WRX. I am 99% sure I will need to pull the motor. I believe it's the head gasket or seals or something. If I was to have work done, would it be cheaper to buy a rebuild kit for the shortblock, or to just buy the shortblock its self? Obviously I would like to go forged internals. I've been doing a lot of research, but I still don't know what I would need to get everything back together like new without having to do too much extra modifications. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

I Support ClubWRX
    Spend no time or money until you ID not only the specific problem but also the true cause. The rest tends to answer itself.

Forged is not an obvious choice at all in my view. What failed? Why? Would forged have made a difference?

Save long term time and money by troubleshooting first. History tends to repeat itself otherwise. Gets expensive.
    WRX Info Links, Courtesy TheJ
    The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong in the broken places. Ernest Hemingway
    I lied. I cheated. I bribed men to cover the crimes of other men. I am an accessory to murder. But the most damning thing of all... I think I can live with it. And if I had to do it all over again - I would. Benjamin Sisko
    DISCLAIMER: Opinions expressed are the author's alone and are inherently worthless.

I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by SD_GR View Post
    Spend no time or money until you ID not only the specific problem but also the true cause. The rest tends to answer itself.

Forged is not an obvious choice at all in my view. What failed? Why? Would forged have made a difference?

Save long term time and money by troubleshooting first. History tends to repeat itself otherwise. Gets expensive.
    Yup. Why buy a whole new shortblock when all you needed was a set of head gaskets. You are "putting the cart before the horse" as they say.
    Resident Adviser @ WTF Tuning, LLC
    2002 FORESTER S
    1998 FORESTER S

Turns out, my valves are gone..... What would be the best solution to get it back running again. Dealer quoted me $5000 before taxes..... No thanks.

5K for valves?! Take the heads to a machine shop and ask them, maybe just call them, they might have a good idea right off the bat. You could also buy the tools and do it yourself for less than that kind of money. Unless there's more than just the valves, like heads warped/cracked, then you'd have to get them planed or replaced. But NOT for that price...
    You can't have everything - where would you put it?