2010 WRX coolant issue
+ Reply to Thread

This is a discussion on 2010 WRX coolant issue within the General Maintenance, Troubleshooting & Accidents. forums, part of the Tech & Modifying & General Repairs category; Bought my 2010 back in april of this year. Drove it off the lot and noticed the coolant needle was ...

Unhappy 2010 WRX coolant issue

Bought my 2010 back in april of this year. Drove it off the lot and noticed the coolant needle was going down and back up to normal(i did notify the dealer and they are working with me). I thought air was in the system so i burped it. Problem went away for a while (maybe a month) and started happening again. Took it to subaru 3 times and they cant reproduce the issue. Finally it has started doing it very frequently and took to back for them to look at monday. Again the car warms up fine and during driving it drops one to two notches towards 'C' and does not over heat. Noticed today my coolant was on the "Low" mark..i check it frequently and this is new. Also not loosing oil as of now. When the temp drops the car kind of shudders and the temp rises again. Idk what it could be. Any ideas? Like i said i biught the car like that with 42k miles STOCK. I can see the temp on my AP drop when the needle drops as well.l, goes from about 181 to 155. Currently has SPT catback and TP tune. Unmarried AP for warranty work. Thanks and sorry for the long post. By the way, no CELs.

Got it back today from dealer-
    "Could not reproduce problem, topped of coolant"

WTF lol

2. Remove Advertisements
    ClubWRX.net
    Advertisements

The coolant level will fluctuate so don't worry about that. If the needle is moving around then I think you have an air bubble.

Describe your de-bubbling/burping procedure.
    Life is like riding a bicycle in order to keep your balance you must keep moving.

i have burped it many times, no luck. And when the motor is cold i take the TOP cap off then run the car until i see air bubbles come out and once the coolant goes down i cap it. kind of hard to explain lol.

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nismopowerdqg View Post
    i have burped it many times, no luck. And when the motor is cold i take the TOP cap off then run the car until i see air bubbles come out and once the coolant goes down i cap it. kind of hard to explain lol.
    It's CRITICAL that you continue to run the car with the cap off until the thermostat opens. This is generally 5-10 minutes (at idle) after the temp gauge needle reaches "optimal." You'll know when the thermostat opens because you will see the coolant begin to flow in the reservoir. Furthermore, the front fans will generally kick in to stabilize the temperature. Can you confirm that you are burping the system from the highest point i.e. the Turbo Coolant Reservoir? You should NOT be doing this directly from the Radiator.
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

Quote Originally Posted by zax View Post
    It's CRITICAL that you continue to run the car with the cap off until the thermostat opens. This is generally 5-10 minutes (at idle) after the temp gauge needle reaches "optimal." You'll know when the thermostat opens because you will see the coolant begin to flow in the reservoir. Furthermore, the front fans will generally kick in to stabilize the temperature. Can you confirm that you are burping the system from the highest point i.e. the Turbo Coolant Reservoir? You should NOT be doing this directly from the Radiator.
    Yes its the reservoir by the turbo, and i always let the car fully warm up and run with the cap off, it atleast took that long for anything to come out. On my sheet i got back from the dealer it said "do not attempt to burp the system"

zax
    I Support ClubWRX I Support ClubWRX
    Quote Originally Posted by nismopowerdqg View Post
    Yes its the reservoir by the turbo, and i always let the car fully warm up and run with the cap off, it atleast took that long for anything to come out. On my sheet i got back from the dealer it said "do not attempt to burp the system"
    And you're adding coolant whenever the level drops?
    2015 CWP WRX STi ... But how did I get roped back into an EJ motor?!
    Zax's utterly unimaginably stock 2015 STi build thread
    Zax's Shaggin' Wagon Build Thread Now tuned for 99% pure Unicorn Jizz!

Zach | Moderator -- Mid-Atlantic States, Tech & Modifying & General Repairs
    Rollin' with the Bugeye Mafia #302 | N.E.R.D. Subject Zero
    Facebook me here

Your Mid-A local board: http://www.clubwrx.net/forums/mid-atlantic-states/

yes i am adding coolant

+ Reply to Thread

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself. We strongly suggest that you stay away from using aol, yahoo, msn, and hotmail accounts. Sometimes the mail server blocks the emails from our server. As a result you will not receive any notifications including the confirmation email.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.